Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2017 3.5 tuning questions

Search this Thread

Old 10-22-2018, 11:05 PM

Received 19 Likes on 16 Posts

Default 2017 3.5 tuning questions

As the title states, I have a 2017 3.5 that I mostly have my mind made up I’m going to tune. I’ve read countless threads and reviews and am strongly considering an MPT tune and the Ngauge. What else, if anything, should I be considering?
Thanks in advance!
Old 10-23-2018, 01:02 AM

Received 366 Likes on 250 Posts

I can't comment specifically on a 3.5 tune, but I can share my thoughts on the nGauge. It is not a bad device, and for its intended purpose it works well. However it is not without its faults, the biggest offender of which is the frustratingly hard to use touch screen, and poor display quality. I was not pleased with my nGauge simply due to the poor touchscreen quality which was impossible to use while the vehicle was in motion.
There is some good however. The auto on/off feature was rock solid and it turned on quickly and never failed to start or function as intended. The tuning times were also pretty fast and ignoring the difficult to use touch screen and poor menu navigation, the device itself was rather intuitive.

I'm now running an SCT GTX, which is a higher quality device as compared to the nGgauge when looking at fit and finish, display quality, and overall user interface. The screen is simply in another league when compared to any tuning device, and allows you to monitor up to 16 values at once. However it too has faults, which mainly come down to the SCT software, and how you load and datalog configurations. Those concerns go away after you've loaded your finalized tune, at which point I appreciate the better screen and interface of the GTX.
The following users liked this post:
09stx (10-23-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 09:44 AM

Received 428 Likes on 336 Posts

If you want the most powerful fastest tune that won’t pop your motor get 5 star.

they also make the best tow tune available.

If you want something that is more refined, gearhead’s auto octane tune self adjusts to any octane you have in the tank and has the smoothest, most refined throttle and transmission settings - something you will be missing with the mpt tune.
The following 2 users liked this post by TX-Ripper:
09stx (10-23-2018), EasterSoldier (10-28-2018)
Old 10-23-2018, 10:08 PM

That gearhead auto octane tune looks very enticing. Anyone have real world experience with it?
Old 10-25-2018, 12:35 AM

Received 147 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by 09stx
That gearhead auto octane tune looks very enticing. Anyone have real world experience with it?
I’ve driven both the MPT and GH in a buddies truck for a few weeks. If you want all out craziness meaning you are the first guy to always take off at a red light then MPT. If you just drive normal not in a rush but like to have fun every once in a while then GH hands down. GH trans tune is superior to MPTs when it comes to daily driver. However if you like to go fast all the time then MPT. Also, with GH you may want them to add a little more throttle so it does not feel like stock so much. That’s my observation anyways. I really like the GH.

Last edited by dodgehemi0; 10-25-2018 at 12:37 AM.
09stx (10-25-2018)
Old 10-25-2018, 10:39 PM

Based on advice from you guys in this post, I reached out to gearhead tuning and asked about getting their tunes on the SCT GTX, I was told they are a couple weeks out and they will be offering their tunes on this device. So I have decided to wait it out and go this route. Appreciate all your comments and advice.
Old 10-26-2018, 01:08 AM

Received 844 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by TX-Ripper
If you want the most powerful fastest tune that won’t pop your motor get 5 star.

they also make the best tow tune available.

If you want something that is more refined, gearhead’s auto octane tune self adjusts to any octane you have in the tank and has the smoothest, most refined throttle and transmission settings - something you will be missing with the mpt tune.
I second this, although I will add that 5 star also offers a variable octane tune which I have a few friends that run and they are extremely happy, one guy actually came from GH tune.
I personally prefer the ngauge, the touch screen has not been bad in my experience and datalogging is stupid easy with it. While you're waiting I'd definitely give Josh a call over there at 5 Star, ask him some questions. Mention you're interested in the variable octane tune. Can't hurt, I think you'll be impressed with them customer service wise and even more so tunes.
09stx (10-26-2018)
Old 10-26-2018, 08:27 AM

I reached out to 5 star when I started this thread and they told me they do not offer the variable octane tune.

Last edited by 09stx; 10-26-2018 at 08:27 AM. Reason: Typo correction
Old 10-27-2018, 02:17 AM

Received 844 Likes on 495 Posts

Originally Posted by 09stx
I reached out to 5 star when I started this thread and they told me they do not offer the variable octane tune.
As I mentioned Call Josh.
I know 3 people that have and run it.

Old 10-27-2018, 12:39 PM

Received 428 Likes on 336 Posts

Why would Josh offer something that they don’t support?

Quick Reply: 2017 3.5 tuning questions