Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2016 Roush SC F150 tune/mods

Search this Thread

Old 04-22-2019, 06:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2016 Roush SC F150 tune/mods

Hey guys. I searched this forum and have run across a few topics along this line but not answering some of my questions. I bought a Roush supercharged screw last fall. I don't know a lot about this truck (what Roush does before delivery) but know the basics (sc, cold air, Fox shocks, etc). I have no idea about the gearing, pulleys, etc. While it's a great truck I have some observations. 1) that exhaust is LOUD. Has anyone replaced the Roush exhaust? 2) I've had several forced air cars/trucks and this supercharger is on the weak side. I've read that a tune helps wake up the motor. If so, who has a good tune (I'm in CA)? Does this void the Roush warranty? Also the 100mph governor blows. 3) I've also read here that with the additional performance mods from Roush that people upgraded parts...like fuel pump, headers, pulley, gearing. Any need to look further into this? TIA Pic for attention.

Old 04-22-2019, 07:21 PM
rodent aviator

Received 272 Likes on 145 Posts

VMP Performance has tuned two vehicles of mine. They specialize in fords only and Justin has his own line of Roush built superchargers so he is one of the best and most qualified in the country in tuning fords with Roush blowers. As far as warranty, I think any tune by anyone other than Roush will void the warranty.
Old 04-23-2019, 04:42 AM

Received 366 Likes on 250 Posts

Anything that modifies the engine past its current point will void the Roush warranty. Roush also only warranties the stage 1 kit, so you can't even upgrade to their more aggressive tune or smaller pulley (stage 2) without voiding the warranty. Also the Roush warranty is not transferable to the second owner...no matter what anyone told you. I wasn't sure if you were the original owner or not, but if you are not then you have no Roush warranty anyways so mod away .

As for what came on your truck as part of the Roush supercharger package, if the truck is a Roush warrantied kit then it is the stage 1 with a 79mm pulley. The gearing varies and was dependent on how the truck was ordered, so you'll need to check the as built data by VIN or look at the axle tag. As for other stock Roush parts, it'll be 47lb fuel injectors, a GT500 (twin 60mm) throttle body, a stock Ford fuel pump, stock y-pipe into a 3" single Roush exhaust. There will also be a Mustang crank damper from the 15-17 mustangs installed along with a 11-14 Mustang A/C clutch pulley. There were also modifications to the front timing cover of the engine to clear the belt routing for the supercharger. The stock Roush stage 1 rev limit is 6000rpm, and the stock Ford speed limiter is in place, 106mph. Roush stage 2 rev limiter is 6500rpm.

I have a 2016 Roush supercharged truck and I've done the following. ID Motorports tuning, 72mm supercharger pulley, twin 67mm throttle body, DW95 fuel injectors, DW400 fuel pump, AFE Catless Y-pipe, and custom Corsa 3" exhaust. All told this equals mid 11's in the 1/4th and about 120mph trap speed, and probably dynos around 600whp on 93 pump. The speed limiter has been removed and the rev limiter raised to 7800rpm (shifts at 7500). I have not had the truck on the dyno since it was stock with nothing but a custom tune, so I don't know what its making now, but its plenty fast with good drivability and still gets 16mpg. I did add some Stiffler's traction bars to combat wheel hop and axle wrap, but traction on the street is hard to come by in 2wd, even with rather wide summer performance tires.

Honestly the biggest bang for the buck was the new tune, and that is where I'd start. My truck ran an 11.65 on my Dragy with nothing but the tune and 75mm pulley, and it had better drivability then stock and the exhaust was tolerable. All the other go fast parts shaved a couple tenths off the 1/4th, but made it no faster on the street as traction is the limiting factor there.

As for VMP, I tried to use their services last year and had a bad experience and I would not recommend their tuning. They do have a large catalog of parts, of which I'm using several, and I have no complaints about their products...just their tuning services, or as I should say the lack of service.

My experience with ID Motorsports however has been excellent. Matt responds to emails quickly and his goal is safety, and he has put up with my annoying emails without so much as a grumble. He's been accommodating and easy to work with, and has given me a reliable and fast truck. I have no complaints with his service and would (and have) recommended him to others. Unbroken runs his tune on a 2016 Whipple supercharged truck, and I thinks another Roush owner on this board is just starting the process with him. That said, there are lots of good tuners just do a bit of research before making a decision.

Last edited by BadCon; 04-23-2019 at 01:14 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by BadCon:
Brettanomyces (10-11-2019), wolf8218 (10-01-2019)
Old 04-24-2019, 01:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Wow! Fantastic feedback guys. Thanks for the advice. Will look into a tune and replace the exhaust.
Old 04-28-2019, 08:31 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice ride. Have fun. I love mine and I am absolutely having a blast. Thanks for input BADCON it is much appreciated.

Quick Reply: 2016 Roush SC F150 tune/mods