Topic Sponsor
Performance, Tuning, and (LEGAL) Racing Post discussions about increasing performance, capabilities, and racing. ****WARNING**** Street racing or illegal activities will be removed and potential bans will be handed out.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

2004 5.4 3v timing chain question

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-2018, 09:38 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2004 5.4 3v timing chain question

OK engineers. I know the single black link and the double black links on the chain are for the aid of the mechanic and I know it is common practice to put the single black link on the crankshaft sprocket tooth marked by the dot and the double black links straddle the appropriate mark on the cam Phaser sprocket However, if you fold the chain in half you will notice the single black link is exactly opposite the link between the two black links. I believe it’s thirty links apart. So technically the engine would not know the difference if you placed the single black link on the crank sprocket tooth marked with the dot or straddled the dot on the crank sprocket with the two black links since either way they’re separated by 30 links right? 30 links is 30 links. Do I understand this correctly or am I missing something? Please advise.
Old 08-14-2018, 05:59 PM
Renaissance Honky

Received 154 Likes on 134 Posts

No, you're probably right on, but it's just easier to use the ones that are there and not have to count.

I mean, putting the roller followers back in after setting the timing chains is a PITA, but still.

Quick Reply: 2004 5.4 3v timing chain question