Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Whining noise??

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-2017, 08:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Whining noise??

2015 xlt sport 3.5 ecoobost 4x4

I have a whining noise coming from rear end/tranny can't pinpoint exactly where. Whining noise will start around 15mph and will continue until I come to a complete stop. Have checked all fluids/ even checked wheel bearings. No vibration, clanking anything like that. Just whining. It's has gotton louder with time. Any suggestions on what it could be? I have read tons of forums and seen carrier bearings, rear pinion bearing.
Old 08-18-2017, 06:47 AM
Mark

Received 2,416 Likes on 2,117 Posts

Look at the yoke assembly where the pinion is.. does it look like it's leaking ?
Old 08-18-2017, 07:46 AM

There is no signs of any leak.
Old 08-21-2017, 02:58 PM

Received 71 Likes on 56 Posts

Does the noise change with the RPMs? If you're going 30 and shift to neutral and coast, does the noise persist or stop? Does it change when the torque convertor is locked or unlocked? Have you checked the transmission fluid level? Lastly, make sure the HVAC fan is off so you can rule that out, just to be sure.
Old 08-21-2017, 05:46 PM

Shifting in neutral does stop stop the noise. Putting in 4wd the noise is the same. Transmission levels are good.
Originally Posted by Pugga
Does the noise change with the RPMs? If you're going 30 and shift to neutral and coast, does the noise persist or stop? Does it change when the torque convertor is locked or unlocked? Have you checked the transmission fluid level? Lastly, make sure the HVAC fan is off so you can rule that out, just to be sure.
Old 08-21-2017, 07:54 PM

Originally Posted by Mspc87
Shifting in neutral does stop stop the noise. Putting in 4wd the noise is the same. Transmission levels are good.
Check your pulleys. If shifting to neutral stops the noise, that sounds like it could be engine related. When you shift to neutral, ref the engine and see if the whining comes back with the higher RPMs.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:21 PM

I'm sorry I didn't prof read my response. The noise continues at all Rpms and while in neutral.
Check your pulleys. If shifting to neutral stops the noise, that sounds like it could be engine related. When you shift to neutral, ref the engine and see if the whining comes back with the higher RPMs.
Old 08-21-2017, 08:52 PM

Originally Posted by Mspc87
I'm sorry I didn't prof read my response. The noise continues at all Rpms and while in neutral.
That changes things a bit. I'd pay attention to the carrier bearing. After a drive, see if the carrier bearing is getting hot. If it's hot, it's likely lacking grease and could be the cause of the whining.
Old 08-24-2017, 06:08 PM

I don't have a carrier bearing. I have the short drive shaft.
That changes things a bit. I'd pay attention to the carrier bearing. After a drive, see if the carrier bearing is getting hot. If it's hot, it's likely lacking grease and could be the cause of the whining.