Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Where are the oil threads???

Search this Thread

Old 11-23-2016, 06:44 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Where are the oil threads???

I'm a member of several motorcycle forums and the oil thread abound. Not only are they not obvious on this forum, but I even did a search and can't find any threads discussing what oil and/or filters folks are using.

I saw a vague reference to Pennzoil in one thread, but nothing with any substance or detail. I'm trying to get a read on what most folks prefer and why.
Old 11-23-2016, 07:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It's oil. All them are pretty good these days. These truck aren't exceptional high performance vehicle. Pick a name brand, pick what you can afford (regular, syn-blend, full-syn), and use the weight called for by ford, 5w20, and your truck will be fine.

I would change regular oil every 4k miles. Syn-blend around 5k, and full- syn around 6-7.

Having worked at dealership for manufacturers with the 10k mile OCI, the engines in those vehicles are leaky, noisy, turds by the time they get into the 80k-100k range.
Old 11-24-2016, 10:34 PM

Received 140 Likes on 99 Posts

When I had my '11 F150 - The oil spec Ford calls for was at least a semi synthetic of full synthetic in every brand that claimed to meet that spec. Im sure its the same for my new truck. BTW I ran Chevron Delo 400LE 5W40 full Synthetic probly for the last 3-4 yrs I had it. (Nope - this product didnt meet that Ford spec) Got 263000 kms on it when I got rid of it and motor was still going strong with no issues.

Last edited by Phyer Phyter; 11-24-2016 at 10:38 PM.
Old 11-25-2016, 03:42 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I run the Delo in my motorcycle and it works very well.
My guess is that I'll run Mobile 1 full synthetic and be done with it.
Old 11-25-2016, 04:03 PM

Received 5,989 Likes on 3,553 Posts

You need to search better. They come up several times a week. Most are useless. Here's a synopsis:

1) How often do you change your oil? Answers - when the truck tells me to, or every 3,000 miles, or when I get home from the dealer, every 6,000 miles religiously...

2) What filters? Motorcraft only, or Fram stinks, or ...

3) What oil? Every answer in the world.

Then you get:

"These plastic plugs that don't need a wrench are absurd. I used a giant pipe wrench anyway".

and

"I use 10w30 oil no matter what the manual says".

To better search the site, type this into Google:

SITE:sitename searchterms

as in:

SITE:www.f150forum.com OIL

I like the last line in your most recent post - be done with it. You're on the right track.