Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Wheel alignment and rear end busted :(

Search this Thread

Old 10-24-2013, 09:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Arrow Wheel alignment and rear end busted :(

I realize I might be in the wrong sub thread, but I need some help.
(It's late now, so I dont have pictures, I'll post them tomorrow)

I was given a 2003 Heritage Edition F150 as a gift from my brother, but before he actually gave it to me he crashed it. No frame damage but there is what I think is serious damage to the passenger front and rear wheels. The front right wheel was pushed inward, against the direction of the driver side wheel so they look like / \ instead of / / (Wheel turned to right, facing top-down)

The rear wheel is cocked out away from the truck like it was slammed into a curb. Instead of | | as the tires look from the back, facing tailgate, they are | / It looked to me that the entire wheel assembly was bent at the axle.

I figure I need a new rear wheel assembly, maybe an entire new rear end. I've never done steering alignment or any major rear end work but I'm determined to get it fixed without a repair shop. Is there a way I can do this?
Old 10-25-2013, 10:10 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

I love your use of the forward slash / back slash. I knew exactly what you were saying. First of all you should have a very strong mechanical background to attempt this work. The front end work will require the use of specialty tools removing the A-Arms, springs, brakes and ABS connections.
The rear axle, I assume will be a complete rear end replacement from a wrecking yard. Once the vehicle has been hit you'll never get the axles straight. Removal & replacement is straightforward as long as they are the same (i.e. same gears, LSD, brake lines,hubs and e-brake cables)
Once you're done the truck will require a professional 4 wheel alignment. This is something you can not do w/o the equipment.
Make sure you download some diagrams for disassembly and take lots of pics for reference later.
The following users liked this post:
Rcharlieo (10-25-2013)
Old 10-25-2013, 06:42 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Some pictures of the actual damage.
rear end.

front end.
Doesn't look damaged, but it sould be turned outward to the right.

undamaged drivers side wheel.
Old 10-25-2013, 08:13 PM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

The rear end is toast. Replace it with a complete salvage yard unit. Even if you replace the axle the axle tube is most likely bent. There could be internal damage in the differential as well.
The front end looks better. This may only require replacing the steering tie rods and/or the drag link. You'll be able to better see with the wheel off.

Quick Reply: Wheel alignment and rear end busted :(