Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Vibration/Grinding noise at low speeds, 2013 F150

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2016, 10:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Vibration/Grinding noise at low speeds, 2013 F150

I own a 2013 F-150 I bought in 2014. I've had it almost 2 years with 22,000 miles on it on the 5.0 liter, V-8. The front end has developed a slight vibration grinding noise at low speeds. It happens when braking and accelerating from a stop. It happens only at slow speeds, 0-20 mph.
Had it in to the dealer, but they could not reproduce the issue. Taking it back in this week as the problem is getting worse.
Anyone have any ideas?
Thanks.
Old 03-18-2016, 06:38 PM

StlouisF150. I know it has only been a few since you posted this but I was wondering if you have determined what the problem is? I'm experiencing the same issues and I am leaning towards the IWE actuator being the problem. The grinding sound is more noticeable when it is cold out. I took mine into the dealer the other day and they could not recreate the noise. That day it was much warmer than it had been. I have also noticed a very slight vibration in the steering wheel, pedals, and floorboard. Have you noticed this with your grinding?
Old 03-20-2016, 01:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by ecoboost ford
StlouisF150. I know it has only been a few since you posted this but I was wondering if you have determined what the problem is? I'm experiencing the same issues and I am leaning towards the IWE actuator being the problem. The grinding sound is more noticeable when it is cold out. I took mine into the dealer the other day and they could not recreate the noise. That day it was much warmer than it had been. I have also noticed a very slight vibration in the steering wheel, pedals, and floorboard. Have you noticed this with your grinding?
The noise could be the wheel bearing hub assy. Fairly easy to change out. It may make more noise when cold because metal will expand when hot. Sometimes it can be confirmed by slightly turning one way or the other to load the bearing differently. It was easier to swap the entire knuckle/hub assy. For me on some vehicles rather than press the old bearing out and the new one in. Just throwing that out there if you still have the symptom or have not repaired yey. But some vehicles you just remove the bolts from behind the hub and knock out the bearing hub assy and replace. The new one will have new wheel studs installed. That's all I can think of to cause the grind like your describing. And it can come and go. Depending on the degree of failure in the bearing

Last edited by Mad greenback; 03-20-2016 at 01:37 PM.
Old 05-05-2016, 11:20 PM

Originally Posted by ecoboost ford
did you ever find out the problem i'm having same issues,after 10 minutes it goes away when engine gets hot.
thanks
Old 05-10-2016, 04:57 PM

Default Problem diagnosed

I believe I have, rather the dealership, diagnosed the problem with my Ecoboost F150. Apparently there is a problem with the vacuum pump on ecoboost models. The extent of the problem has caused Ford to extend the warranty on this part to 10years/150,000 miles. The part is on emergency back order and I've already been waiting on it for over a month. The intermittent failure of the pump causes the 4wd system to attempt to engage but is unable to so. What you would experience when you have a leak in the IWE system.

When the part is replaced I'll report back to say if the problem is actually fixed.
Old 06-29-2016, 09:34 PM

I had 58,500 miles on my truck when the dealer believed he diagnosed the problem. Due to the vacuum pump being on back order I went over the 60,000 power train warranty before the part came in and was installed. After I got truck back the vacuum pump definitely did not solve the problem. Now the dealer said he does think he can do much because the truck is out of warranty.

I changed the right front hub/wheel bearing and that,too, did not fix the problem. My next step is the hub actuator but I do not believe that is the problem. I looked at the u-joints and they seemed fine.

I am at a loss now. Any input or advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 02-17-2017, 10:59 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Having the same issue guys

I noticed a similar thing happening with my truck over the past month. While driving at slow speeds like in a parking lot you can hear a very faint groaning noise and feel a vibration in the steering wheel. My truck is a 15 EcoBoost King Ranch with 61,000 miles on it bought it in October 2015. I haven't taken it to the dealer yet I'm going to run some of the tests in the different 4x4 modes and see if that affects it at all. I drive this truck between 1000 and 1200 miles per week and I don't have time to take it to the dealer at the moment you think it will cause any harm if I keep driving it? It only does it at low speeds not highway speeds. Love my truck this is the very first little problem I've ever had with it knock on wood.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:05 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

My 2013 is having the same issue. Slowing from 30 mph to a stop. 2wd or 4wd makes no difference. Traction control on or off also doesn't matter neither does wheel position. It is definitely speed related RPM and gear it's in make no difference to the noise. My mechanic could not replicate the problem but says everything under the truck is rock solid.

Last edited by Angus1; 02-17-2017 at 08:07 PM.
Old 02-17-2017, 08:42 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

In case it helps someone else. They put mine on a lift and tried to repeat the speeds but it wouldn't make the noise. I guess because there was no load on the wheels. They also hooked up some noise/vibration sensors on each corner and drove it but that came back negative also.
Old 02-20-2017, 09:49 AM

That sounds like a pretty major failure.
People must be driving round not realising that the 4wd hasn't kicked in??

Quick Reply: Vibration/Grinding noise at low speeds, 2013 F150