Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Unsure what is wrong with my company truck.

Search this Thread

Old 02-13-2019, 11:26 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Unsure what is wrong with my company truck.

So, I drive a 2011 Ford F-250 utility truck for my company.

i recently started having issues while driving it.

this normally only happens when going up hills. But sometimes on stop and goes.

speed doesn’t matter but I normally notice it more often at 70mph.

while driving at 70 mph (or less) if I start to go up a hill (not always a hill but most of the time) , or the engine is put under stress, the truck will do this.
it sounds like I’m pushing the gas peddle and then letting off of it and then stepping on it.
the entire truck kinda bucks each time (because it sounds and feels like the gas pedal has been pushed and then let off of) and it will do this constantly until I let off the gas peddle for a second, let the Rpms drop to 1500 and then slowly step on the gas again.

If i keep it below 2000 rpms when this starts up, (or going up a mtn) this doesn’t happen.
but if I go above it, it will just buck wildly and it sounds and feels like the gas pedal is being pushed on then let off of very fast (even tho I’m completely pushing it in)
Old 02-14-2019, 05:12 AM

Received 494 Likes on 428 Posts

Have you checked for codes??I would check for codes before doing anything.. Fuel delivery(fuel filter, pump) and ignition(plugs, coils,etc) usually will act up under peak engine demands.Post an update after checking codes.
Old 02-14-2019, 06:14 AM

Received 964 Likes on 742 Posts

That sure does sound like fuel starvation, for whatever reason. Usually a dying pump or clogged filter. Ford engineering, in all their infinite wisdom, decided not to put a serviceable fuel filter on the '09-up trucks. You have to either drop the tank or pull the bed, and change the entire pump/filter assy. Brilliant huh ??
If it's an ignition miss, you should be getting a check engine light, usually flashing when the misfire count is that high.

Quick Reply: Unsure what is wrong with my company truck.