Stuck Aluminum Wheels - Ford F150 Forum - Community of Ford Truck Fans

Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Stuck Aluminum Wheels

Old 09-06-2018, 07:59 PM

Default Stuck Aluminum Wheels

I'm new here, but a retired Ford parts manger. But I wanted to share this. On my new to me 2011 F150 one of the rear aluminum wheels was stuck to the axle. I got it loose, but in the 2000's this was a very big problem. Even the owners manual now suggest to put something on the center of the wheel where it mounts to the axle. In the last month here I have read a lot but never a mention about this, I was surprised. Any way ............ When you have your wheels off a little antisieze on the chamfer of the wheel will save you big grief. Also a good deep 22mm socket for the lug nuts.
Old 09-06-2018, 09:47 PM
Bronco Guru

Cleaning the mating surfaces is recommended for all vehicles, and will eliminate or reduce the tendency for corrosion to lock the wheel to any hub.

(phone app link)
Old 09-07-2018, 06:26 AM

I had the same thing happen on a 350 at the ranch. After cleaning/antisieze they've never stuck again. Also, I THINK the correct socket for a 150 is 21mm, not 22. If you need a 22 the steel jackets on the nuts are probably swollen. If that's the case, toss them and install a set of Gorilla 61108CXL. The factory nuts are a problem just waiting to happen .
Old 09-14-2018, 02:44 PM

Originally Posted by raycfe View Post
I'm new here, but a retired Ford parts manger. But I wanted to share this. On my new to me 2011 F150 one of the rear aluminum wheels was stuck to the axle. I got it loose, but in the 2000's this was a very big problem. Even the owners manual now suggest to put something on the center of the wheel where it mounts to the axle. In the last month here I have read a lot but never a mention about this, I was surprised. Any way ............ When you have your wheels off a little antisieze on the chamfer of the wheel will save you big grief. Also a good deep 22mm socket for the lug nuts.

My dad had this issue on his 2014 F150. He took it to Americas tire to get new tires and the guys ended up breaking a wheel trying to remove the stock wheels. He was bummed but they gave him a great deals on new wheels..... great idea for preventative maintenance though so this doesnt happen.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Stuck Aluminum Wheels

Contact Us Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.

• Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: