Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Starter/Solenoid/Fuse

Search this Thread

Old 02-22-2019, 01:42 PM

Received 13 Likes on 10 Posts
Unhappy Starter/Solenoid/Fuse

Tags are where the wires go to
I will cut to the chase. Upon installing a new starter relay(fender solenoid), the alternator cable[B] was reinstalled in the incorrect location; it was put on the “other” post [C] with the starter feed. When the truck was started, it ran for 10 seconds with a different sound. It then shut off, and now will not crank-after proper reinstallation of the solenoid/wires. The starter does not engage while jumping the posts with a screwdriver, but there are sparks ... Since I may be the only idiot to do such a thing, there really is no information out there on where to start. I assume the starter is now shot, since it was being fed by the alternator. However, are there any other items to test that would keep the starter from being able to start via magic screwdriver?

1999 F150 xlt 4.6l Fleet 4x4
Old 02-23-2019, 05:45 AM

Received 489 Likes on 423 Posts

I would pull the starter and have it tested. I believe the starter was fully energized and engaged by the way you connected it even after the engine started and may have been damaged. The fact you saw sparks while jumping across the solenoid indicates it is drawing current but no action tells me the starter is bad.
The following users liked this post:
snowway (02-23-2019)
Old 02-27-2019, 12:22 PM

Default ....the starter

Swapped the starter, sure enough the old one was shot. When tested, the old starter wouldn’t even rotate... Luckily, nothing else seems to be affected.
Old 02-28-2019, 03:23 PM

Received 1,208 Likes on 969 Posts

that's good
Old 03-04-2019, 08:48 PM

Looks like I have a deeper problem. The replacement starter has now died after a few days; same deal-no crank no matter what. 3rd starter in a week going on tomorrow....
Old 03-05-2019, 05:17 AM

Received 489 Likes on 423 Posts

It is possible that the alternator/regulator has issues because of the miswire. Myself, I would again remove the starter and the alternator this time for bench testing. When you reinstall the starter, I would also run a heavy ground wire from the grounding point on the engine block to one of the starter mounting bolts. I am not sure where you are getting your starters but I would stay away from Autozone especially and the other large chains and go either NAPA or OEM.

Last edited by raski; 03-05-2019 at 05:21 AM.
Old 03-05-2019, 07:41 AM

First starter was original Motorcraft starter installed from the factory (truck has 99k Miles), while the second was identical, but with "Visteon" on the sticker. The 3rd is a remanufactured unit with a black motor sleeve (carquest?). This 3rd one came with a bench sheet...

Last edited by snowway; 03-05-2019 at 09:37 AM. Reason: Added attachment
Old 03-05-2019, 08:26 AM

Received 770 Likes on 608 Posts

Visteon is a Ford parts supplier, that's what my starter is. Visteon was spun off of Ford.
Old 03-05-2019, 02:43 PM

I got the 3rd starter on now. I found a great trick to get the old one off and new one on in mere minutes(through the wheel well with lots of extensions). Decided to dissect the other 2 starters. Starter #1(Motorcraft) had tons of black powder/dust within the motor and the solenoid was completely seized. A gummy brown grease was very apparent on this one with a nasty stench. Starter #2(Visteon) had a junk cable from the post to the internal motor, but the solenoid was in good condition. So I took the seemingly good parts from both and cleaned them up; put them together to make a "refurbished" starter. Hooked it up to a floor test and it popped out & spun as it should. Now I have my own spare for the next time this crap happens.

Last edited by snowway; 03-05-2019 at 02:43 PM. Reason: Spelling
Old 09-06-2023, 12:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by snowway

Tags are where the wires go to
I will cut to the chase. Upon installing a new starter relay(fender solenoid), the alternator cable was reinstalled in the incorrect location; it was put on the “other” post [C] with the starter feed. When the truck was started, it ran for 10 seconds with a different sound. It then shut off, and now will not crank-after proper reinstallation of the solenoid/wires. The starter does not engage while jumping the posts with a screwdriver, but there are sparks ... Since I may be the only idiot to do such a thing, there really is no information out there on where to start. I assume the starter is now shot, since it was being fed by the alternator. However, are there any other items to test that would keep the starter from being able to start via magic screwdriver?

1999 F150 xlt 4.6l Fleet 4x4

I'm having the exact same problem!!! I replaced the solenoid on the fire wall. It started a few times, then i had to jump it :\ after a few times of this it quit all togather. Now don't know what to do?

Quick Reply: Starter/Solenoid/Fuse