Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

SRS repair question

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-2017, 10:18 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default SRS repair question

In our body shop we regularly repair the SRS systems on damaged Ford products. We have a 2015 F-150 XLT in with front damage but no air bags blown. The scanner shows only a code for the drivers seat belt which we are replacing.
Question: We normally replace the SRS main control box with air bags blown as the scanner always shows a code for this. This truck is showing no code for the box.
Is the box not tripped when only 1 seatbelt went off?
With the new seatbelt installed will the system be able to be reset?
Old 10-28-2017, 02:59 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Daleford
In our body shop we regularly repair the SRS systems on damaged Ford products. We have a 2015 F-150 XLT in with front damage but no air bags blown. The scanner shows only a code for the drivers seat belt which we are replacing.
Question: We normally replace the SRS main control box with air bags blown as the scanner always shows a code for this. This truck is showing no code for the box.
Is the box not tripped when only 1 seatbelt went off?
With the new seatbelt installed will the system be able to be reset?
Been a while since I repaired SRS but from memory and a few repairs my self, Ford taught us if one primary sensor and one safing sensor were tripped the air bags deploy, if only 1 of those sensors is tripped the bags will not deploy but the seat belt pre-tensioner's may fire.

If any of the primary sensors were not impacted physically (evidenced by dent's/scratches) etc they will reset and can be reused. The only time the SRS module required replacement is when the bags deployed as the safing sensor is non resettable and is integral within the module itself.

It's been a little over 13 years since I did any of this type of work so take that with a grain of salt.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hey guys, I'm new to these forums but I have an issue with my 2013 XLT F-150 that's driving me absolutely crazy. So here's what's going on :

Question type: Maintenance & Repair

I'm trying to find somone who can help me. I have a 2013 F-150 5.0 Liter. I recently installed K&N cold
air intake with a DRY FILTER has not been oiled!, an Airaid throttle body spacer and Flowmaster Outlaw Exhaust. After installing cold air intake and throttle body spacer it just wouldn't start, just rolled and
rolled. So I took the truck back to stock with the exception of exhaust, had the same issue.! So I got it towed to the
garage where they replaced MAF Sensor and fuel pump. Got it back, it started and ran great for a week.
Now, it's starting again, I added all my mods back on after it started acting up just being stock and got
a SCT X3 / 3015 to tune it thinking it was just needing tuned. Here's the thing...truck runs like a
rapped ape, I mean it's like a rocket...it'll roast my 35's no problem at all. It just doesn't
start easy. It rolls and rolls and rolls then finally fires up. By that time everyone in the parking lot is
looking at me and if they weren't they are, the exhaust is just nasty! If I shut it off and turn it
immediately back on it starts right up, it's when it sits for like 5 mins is when it has an issue starting.
Anyone have any advice?

Old 10-28-2017, 03:34 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

^^^^^ I'm a little confused what does this have to do with air bag deployment.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Nothing at all, like I said I'm new to forums and am hoping I can get some direction and advice, sorry if I went to wrong place.
Old 10-28-2017, 03:51 PM

Received 502 Likes on 324 Posts

No problem. just hang in and repost a new thread. welcome to the forum it is a learning curve but a good source for the info you seek. maybe if a moderator see's this they could move your post to the proper spot.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:09 PM

Originally Posted by Brothel Player
Nothing at all, like I said I'm new to forums and am hoping I can get some direction and advice, sorry if I went to wrong place.

OP here. Yes you were in the wrong place - it's called hijacking a thread.
Post your own new thread and good luck with your question.
Old 10-30-2017, 12:12 PM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
Been a while since I repaired SRS but from memory and a few repairs my self, Ford taught us if one primary sensor and one safing sensor were tripped the air bags deploy, if only 1 of those sensors is tripped the bags will not deploy but the seat belt pre-tensioner's may fire.

If any of the primary sensors were not impacted physically (evidenced by dent's/scratches) etc they will reset and can be reused. The only time the SRS module required replacement is when the bags deployed as the safing sensor is non resettable and is integral within the module itself.

It's been a little over 13 years since I did any of this type of work so take that with a grain of salt.
OP here. Exactly the answer I was hoping for THANKS RnLComp.
Old 11-10-2017, 06:22 AM

RnL Back with another question:
Since the primary section of my control wasn't tripped will I need a scan/reset once I install my new belt? In other words since it was only the seat belt that fired will the system reset itself. THANKS in advance.
Old 11-10-2017, 07:05 AM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

The system should reset but may have a code retained in memory that IIRC will self erase after so many key cycles.