Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Sporadic noise and shake from engine (Timing)

Search this Thread

Old 03-15-2015, 06:53 PM
F150 2009 Platinum 5.4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Sporadic noise and shake from engine (Timing)

Hi everyone,

I've come to a stall today. My truck (2009 F150 Plat. 5.4l) has been acting lately. On random occasions when throttling on low rpm (such as drive-thrus, traffic, backing up, etc.) the engine would start shaking and making noises which could be stopped if i reved the engine up a bit.

After a small investigation, my expectations were set on the tensionners/ timing chains.

My truck then started making that heavy noise and shaking when i started it up 4 days go, it would also make it more often when driving (stop signs / lights). The check engine light also showed up (which i believe was P0335)

I bought the timing chains set from Cloyes, seals and phasers in advance on friday since the shops would be closed during the weekend.

I brought my truck to the garage (which is a friend). We stripped and opened up the engine. We found that the driver side tensionner was not working properly as the cylinder would not hardened up when primed with oil. Driver side chain was slightly loose (due to tensionner). Both phasers looked in good shape.

We decided to change the chains, tensionners and arms.

Close the engine up then an oil change. Start it up and noise appear (maybe tensionners not primed?) ... Shut the truck off and start it again... Runs good! for the next 20 times also!

Time to leave the shop. As I am slowly backing away, the truck starts the same noise again....! Few blocks further, the truck shuts down by itself at a red light. I swiftly appear the Oil picture on the dash but starts again fine afterwards.

I am now lost. Could it be the phasers even tho they looked in good shape? or the VCT? or the oil pump not pushing enough?

Plz help! Thank you very much in advance.

The only picture i snapped of the engine opened (you may see a bit of the phasers shape) and the defective tensionner (broken seal/piston).

Quick Reply: Sporadic noise and shake from engine (Timing)