Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Spark plug swap.... Necessary tool!!!!!

Search this Thread

Old 01-21-2018, 02:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Spark plug swap.... Necessary tool!!!!!

Ok, let me start this by saying done a few frame off resto's on old school trucks and cars, spent a while in the military as an engine room mechanic working on dual 12 cylinder 24 piston 18,000 hp motors... I'm decently mechanically inclined, but I learned something new tonight working on my new to me 2010 F150. First 2 plugs went down quick 5-10 min each... Plug 3 the socket wouldn't bite, nothing worked... Pita location to see what was up, especially standing in a step ladder.... Finally used my phone to snap a picture and saw a pebble or something was blocking the socket from getting down... Tried a small flat blade, couldn't find my gun cleaning pick so made a hook with a paper clip, tried a pencil, tried scissors, drank a beer, tried wire... Drank another beer... FINALLY busted out the air compressor, blasted a ton of air into the channel and after a few minutes, and a TON of dirt everywhere (seriously the engine bay looked show room when I started didn't know there was that much dirt hiding by the boots) the damn rock flew out.... after that I went crazy with the air compressor around every boot , needed to repeate the process on one other plug, but over all 2.5 hours to change 8 plugs with 1.5 hours on a single plug... The air compressor is now a MUST HAVE on any spark plug job on this motor!!
Old 01-21-2018, 09:14 AM
Mark

Received 2,412 Likes on 2,113 Posts

Your lucky you did not have the old 2 price plugs from the older 5.4... talking pita.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:15 AM

Received 21 Likes on 19 Posts

Air compressor/blow out pretty much standard with the new engines having the spark plugs recessed in wells.
Old 01-21-2018, 10:41 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Remember to apply fresh silicone grease to the lips at the top of each boot so water doesn't go down there. And a dab inside each boot (NOT on the metal) to keep the rubber from sticking to the ceramic.

Quick Reply: Spark plug swap.... Necessary tool!!!!!