Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

"Shuttering" at 35-40 mph

Search this Thread

Old 09-18-2011, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default "Shuddering" at 35-40 mph

I have a 2003 screw with 20 inch wheels, no lift, brand new tires (4000 miles) but have developed a shuddering or vibration in the steering wheel. Had the balance checked three times, and new wheel alignment. the vibrations are not left to right as with most out of balance tires but up and down motion. Just returned last night from a 1000 mile trip with no problems but I can "hear" the roar an "feel" the vibration in the steering wheel. Once on the trip when shifting to reverse, I heard a "clunk." Only once, not again.

Drive shaft or U Joints???

Any suggestions?

Last edited by drboompa; 09-18-2011 at 10:06 PM. Reason: spelling
Old 09-18-2011, 09:36 PM

park the truck and set the ebrake, crawl under truck and try to move the d shaft around (like if it were driving) if there is slop then you may need u joints usually when they start to shimmy real bad you need to replace as breakage could be close..
Old 09-18-2011, 10:00 PM
SS..DD

Received 101 Likes on 87 Posts

I see this quite often. It's a simple mistake and not meant to be condescending in any way, just helpful.

shutˇter(shtr)
n. 1. One that shuts, as: a. A hinged cover or screen for a window, usually fitted with louvers.
b. A mechanical device of a camera that controls the duration of a photographic exposure, as by opening and closing to allow light coming through the lens to expose a plate or film.

2. shutters Music The movable louvers on a pipe organ, controlled by pedals, that open and close the swell box.

tr.v. shutˇtered, shutˇterˇing, shutˇters 1. To furnish or close with shutters: locked the doors and shuttered the windows.
2. To cause to cease operations; close down: shuttered the store for the holiday.

shudderingpresent participle of shudˇder (Verb)
1. (of a person) Tremble convulsively, typically as a result of fear or repugnance.
2. (esp. of a vehicle, machine, or building) Shake or vibrate deeply.
Old 09-18-2011, 10:06 PM

thanks to both replies.

It was a U joint. Now fixed!

Last edited by drboompa; 09-22-2011 at 10:03 PM.

Quick Reply: "Shuttering" at 35-40 mph