Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Serpentine/pully problems/grinding noise 2006 f150

Search this Thread

Old 05-20-2019, 07:00 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Serpentine/pully problems/grinding noise 2006 f150

Greetings,

I have a 2006 f150, 5.4L v8, with a couple of pronounced issues.... So the first thing to show up was a grinding noise that develops around 25mph and only sounds off while under stress, i.e. Hills or overly ambitious acceleration. The grinding goes away when I let off the gas and it sounds something similar to a wobbly brake caliper though that doesn't seem to be the case. My next bet past that would be wheel bearings? But then again is very hard to pinpoint the noise, though I know for sure it it from the driver seat forward and comes out low... Hopefully not transmission related?

secondly it sounds as though I have a family of birds in my engine bay... And this problem seems to arise around the 60mph mark and then persists once that threshold is met. The sound goes away when I am on the gas and arises when I left off the gas.... So... Being a weekend mechanic I told my buddy to hold my beer and I replaced both smooth idler pulleys and the rippled one, as well as the tensioner pulled, arm, and belt itself... Still, with no relief.... There's no quiet times in my truck ATM and I'm beginning to lose it.... Please help me...

could these noises be a combined issue? Are these noises alarming to the point where I shouldn't drive?

it is also worth noting that no performance of the engine is affected whatsoever... Just noises... Noises.... NOISES... Lol

edit: did water pump.... Problems still persist.... Noise coming out of left side of engine seemingly near the Pistons... Perhaps ac compressor? Thoughts? Please?

truck has 158k miles.

Last edited by Strawhatman; 05-21-2019 at 04:13 PM. Reason: More info
Old 05-24-2019, 11:20 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

One check would be to open the hood and listen/watch the engine movement while someone holds the brakes on and puts strain on the driveline by pressing the accelerator down a little and releasing to try and repeat the noises. This might give you an idea of where these noises exist. Check your motor mounts and Trans mounts as well.
Old 03-21-2020, 05:09 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm having similar problems with a grinding noise when I accelerate too. Did you ever find out the cause of this?
The following users liked this post:
Jake's Dad (03-23-2020)

Quick Reply: Serpentine/pully problems/grinding noise 2006 f150