Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Rusted Bolt Issue on Battery.

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-2017, 06:20 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rusted Bolt Issue on Battery.

My 1998 F-150 has a dead battery. No problem, right? Just take out the battery and charge it or replace it with a new one.

I have been trying to remove this battery for two weeks now. I am at the end of my rope. The connectors were a pain, but they came off. The bolt that hold the battery in place, That little wedge (whatever it's called) thing, the bolt is fused in place. I can unscrew it using Herculean effort to about one inch above the hole it screws into. After that it wont budge. Here is what I have tried:

Adjustible wrench- no room. Not an option
Electric drill with 5/16 nut driver. Just spins around the nut
8mm nut driver. No amount of force works. I applied so much torque I almost pulled a bicep. I am not a weak man.
PB Blaster. Waited four hours after the first application. Nothing. Doused it. Waited another 24 hours. Wouldn't budge even a fraction of an inch.

Nothing works! I am so far beyond frustrated at this point. Does anybody have any idea on how I can get this out without paying big bucks to someone to come deal with it? I live alone, nobody to split the bills with. I haven't worked in four years. Living off savings. No disability, welfare or income of any kind. I don't want to put any more money into this than I have to. Any advice would be greatly appreciated. Getting desperate and angry. Which is not generally conducive to good decision making.

Last edited by SKINNYPETE; 04-26-2017 at 06:35 PM.
Old 04-27-2017, 08:02 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Cut it with a hack saw and replace the stud
The following users liked this post:
SKINNYPETE (04-29-2017)
Old 04-27-2017, 07:33 PM

Received 120 Likes on 97 Posts

With 1 inch up, you might be able to wiggle the battery out.
The following users liked this post:
SKINNYPETE (04-29-2017)
Old 04-29-2017, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the replies. I bought a small socket wrench set. I didn't get it out, but I did manage to apply enough torque to twist the top of the bolt off. Plastic piece pulled straight up and out after that. Have the battery inside now. I'm going to clean the terminals and hook it up to the charger before I go to bed.