Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Rough Idle/Poor Fuel Economy

Old 04-19-2017, 08:59 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Rough Idle/Poor Fuel Economy

Hello, all! I've run into a dead end in my attempt at fixing my 2007 F150 4.6 (105,000 miles) so I figured I'd give this forum a shot.

A while back, my engine light came on and I noticed a bit of a rough idle. I had the auto parts store run a diagnostic and they said "multiple misfires". I changed the spark plugs.

The engine light came back on (unplugging the battery to reset the computer and turn off the light didn't work ) and the rough idle was still there but not as bad. Ran the diagnostics again and they said "MAP sensor". I researched the MAP sensor and the internet said my truck didn't have one of those. I figured they must have said MAF sensor since my truck did have one of those and the symptoms of a bad one were similar. I changed that.....to no avail. Engine light stayed on, rough idle, and poor fuel economy.

I run diagnostics again, they say MAP sensor. I call the dealership and they say they can't find that part for my truck. I dig deep into the research and find out that my truck does not have one, only the 5.4s do. Turns out my EGR valve can send that code. So, I prepare take mine off and clean it out to see if that'll do the trick....when I notice a small broken hose behind the valve. I take it to Advanced and they fix it for free.

Engine light goes off (and has remained off) and I think life is good.....until I notice the rough idle is still there. Poor fuel mileage (16/17 hwy with the 4.6 isn't good) as well. At 100k I changed the air filter and the fuel filter so I can't figure out wth is going on.....until I notice a small broken line under my air filter. It's the one just below center in the middle of this picture. Could this be the root of my problem?

Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks!
Attached Thumbnails Rough Idle/Poor Fuel Economy-brokenline.jpg  

Last edited by ClaymoreSauce; 04-23-2017 at 08:03 AM. Reason: A letter.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rough Idle/Poor Fuel Economy