Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Replacing a Starter, tips?

Search this Thread

Old 08-07-2013, 02:15 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing a Starter, tips?

So my 99's starter kicked on me the other day, and I made some calls, got some estimates, and it appears that all the garages in the area just want to rip me off and charge me around $120 for the labor to replace it - that's not including the price of the part.

So I took a real good look at my starter and it looks pretty easy to replace, just have to buy one where it's in stock. But this is the first time I'll be doing any real part replacement or work under the hood by myself so I was wondering if anyone has any suggestions for me? It looks like I just have to disconnect the battery, then unbolt the starter motor, disconnect the two wires, and then reconnect everything with the new one. The autozone nearby has new starters in stock for around $120. Has anyone done this before who can offer me some tips? Any tips on where I can get the starter cheaper than $120?
Old 08-07-2013, 02:24 PM

Received 163 Likes on 132 Posts

Tip #1. Don't start 2 threads with the same problem.
Tip #2. Autozone rebuilts are not very high quality.
Old 08-07-2013, 02:44 PM

ok not gonna lie i literally just joined this forum and i'm working on deleting that first post now cause i put it in the wrong section.

I was thinking I would get a new one from autozone do you know anywhere to get new ones cheaper than $120?
Old 08-07-2013, 02:49 PM

Originally Posted by Ferreal4
ok not gonna lie i literally just joined this forum and i'm working on deleting that first post now cause i put it in the wrong section.

I was thinking I would get a new one from autozone do you know anywhere to get new ones cheaper than $120?
I've had good luck with O'rielly's reman stuff. not sure on pricing but everybody will price match and maybe a % off to get your business.
All the steps you mentioned for removal look good to me.
Old 08-08-2013, 12:27 PM

Originally Posted by 13Harleyfan
I've had good luck with O'rielly's reman stuff. not sure on pricing but everybody will price match and maybe a % off to get your business.
All the steps you mentioned for removal look good to me.
Ok cool, ufortunately i looked and there's no o'reillys around me, im in new england. I found a $20 coupon at pep boys though so im going to buy one from them today and should cost me about $150 with the coupon for a brand new starter, thanks for the advice ill let you know how it goes installing it
Old 08-08-2013, 12:35 PM

Received 10 Likes on 10 Posts

Tip # 1 - If you have never worked on a vehicle before, I would not start now.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I replaced mine about a year back with one from autozone and so far no problems. It was not difficult in such a way that its confusing, its just a pain. I would recommend a pivoting extension to help with the weird angles.
Old 08-08-2013, 02:29 PM

Originally Posted by Ferreal4
Ok cool, ufortunately i looked and there's no o'reillys around me, im in new england. I found a $20 coupon at pep boys though so im going to buy one from them today and should cost me about $150 with the coupon for a brand new starter, thanks for the advice ill let you know how it goes installing it
Let me know how it comes out.
Old 08-08-2013, 07:25 PM

Originally Posted by 13Harleyfan
Let me know how it comes out.
Long story short, my socket wrench broke on me and I'm going to have to try again tomorrow after getting a new one. I was using my friends and it apparently its a pretty cheap brand. You guys are right, it's not complicated but just a pain.

More updates tomorrow morning, thanks for the help everyone.

Quick Reply: Replacing a Starter, tips?