Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Removing Broken Exhaust Manifold Studs?

Search this Thread

Old 04-20-2014, 09:40 PM
2013 Tuxedo Black Limited

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Default Removing Broken Exhaust Manifold Studs?

What is the best way to get these remaining studs out? The one on the left didn't respond well to double-nutting so I will have to weld a nut on there and try again. I'm sure it is going to break. The two on the far right are broken inside the head. I can drill and use an easy-out and hope it doesn't snap. Any ideas on how to free things up to make this go easier?

I decided to spend Easter suffering working on my old 2001 F150 and change a rotten and leaky exhaust manifold. The salt used during the winter months here in the N.E. can destroy a vehicle. Needless to say, I wasn't expecting it to go easy and without a hitch. I decided to just cut the manifold off and make things easier so I can get to the studs. Everything was so rusted and deteriorated that I had to double-nut the studs to get them out. I got one on the left that doesn't want to budge no matter what. The two on the far right were snapped off and rusted inside the head. Looks like I'm going to have to drill and use an easy-out. Hopefully that will work. I did squirt the whole thing down with PB-Blaster the night before, which did nothing.

Here's a before pic of the rotted and leaky manifold before I started.

And after. You can see the level of misery one can go through working on these things. And I'm still not done.
Old 04-21-2014, 10:28 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

I have always drilled several sizes holes before attempting to get an easy out to work. This will allow you to drill through the broken stud centered on the hole. Once you're ready to try the easy out, use a hand held torch and warm up the head around the stud first, then try the easy out. Do not drill the old stud too close to the size of the bolt or when you use the easy out it will push into the threads on the head and bind up. Worst case drill the hole out with the correct tap size and re thread the hole.
The following users liked this post:
Crab Balls (04-21-2014)
Old 04-21-2014, 09:00 PM
2013 Tuxedo Black Limited

Received 53 Likes on 39 Posts

Originally Posted by Marc D
I have always drilled several sizes holes before attempting to get an easy out to work. This will allow you to drill through the broken stud centered on the hole. Once you're ready to try the easy out, use a hand held torch and warm up the head around the stud first, then try the easy out. Do not drill the old stud too close to the size of the bolt or when you use the easy out it will push into the threads on the head and bind up. Worst case drill the hole out with the correct tap size and re thread the hole.
Thanks. I will give it a try.
Old 04-21-2014, 09:02 PM
Super Moderator

Received 4,126 Likes on 2,832 Posts

there is a template for drilling them out...call around to parts stores see if they rent them out

Quick Reply: Removing Broken Exhaust Manifold Studs?