Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Relearn Process, very low idle

Search this Thread

Old 04-15-2018, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Question Relearn Process, very low idle

Okay, I've seen a few forums about this same topic, but mine has a few more details involved that the others did not. So I replaced my spark plugs on my 2005 F150, I unhooked the negative terminal on the battery, removed the PCM plugs and bracket so I could get to the back plugs, and cleaned the boots. Everything came out fine so I put it back together. After about forty miles or so the check engine light comes on, I get it scanned, cant remember the exact code, but it said number 4 cylinder fault or possible vacuum leak. So I was instructed to swap the the 4th cylinder coil to the 3rd cylinder to see if a new code would follow to the 3rd cylinder. I drove it around 300 some odd miles and no new check engine light came on again. I just figured the coil boot was still dirty and cleaning them better before I put them back on somehow fixed the problem. It was running fine, but I remembered I had not put the PCM bracket back on, the PCM was just sitting there in my engine bay plugged in with the 3 plugs. So I unhooked the PCM again, bolted the bracket back on and hooked up the 3 PCM plugs again. Everything was back where it needed to be. Fifty miles after that my check engine light again. I pulled off the PCM plugs, the middle one made a hissing vacuum sound when I unplugged it but I plugged it back in anyways because I was out in the middle of the desert. 80 miles back there was no check engine light, but I realized that it was idling very low, around 500 in park and under 500 in any other gear, and around 200 when I was stopping. I had to fight it to keep in from dying every time I stopped at a red light. So I looked up some possible reasons, found the "Relearn Process". I followed the directions from a YouTube video I found, but it did not change the idle and I have no idea what else to do. The video I watched (
)
Old 04-19-2018, 11:41 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default Update:

Ok I caved and bought all new coils cause the check engine light came on again saying cylinder 7 was bad. So I replaced them all thinking it should get rid of the hassle, Still the same low idle. I uploaded a video ofthe idle.
Attached Files
File Type: avi
20180419_210649.avi (4.94 MB, 182 views)

Quick Reply: Relearn Process, very low idle