Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Rear Power Sliding Window Top Track Loose

Old 06-11-2018, 12:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Power Sliding Window Top Track Loose

2015 F150---The whole top track of my power sliding window somehow has came loose. Thinking there was some pin or something to push in place I don't immediately see away that it "snaps" in place.. Anyone with a diagram or video or description of how to fix this.....it would be awesome!
Old 10-06-2018, 01:22 PM

Default Same Issue

I have the same issue. Did you get yours fixed? I was able to glue mine up with cement, but it keeps coming loose.
Old 11-14-2018, 05:10 PM

Default Same issue

I have the same issue in my 2015 and it looks like there was just double sided tape holding the entire bracket on. Haven’t found any fixes yet aside from trying to put more tape up there. Seems like a flimsy method of holding a window sealed.
Old 12-08-2018, 04:20 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Doing a self fix at the moment going to post pics and updates.

2015 f150 xlt 4x4 36k miles, found sliding glass top rail loose the other day. Took top bracket off. Theres only 4 tiny pieces of double sided tape holding this on. I scraped it off and used sticker remover to get the residue off. Soapy water did the rest. Going to wally world to get some gorilla double sided all weather tape holds up to 30lbs (figured this should do the trick). Still have to remove tape pieces from truck. I did not remove the glass just the rail. I will post my finished work and update to see if it holds.
Old 01-04-2019, 12:02 PM

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by MurDeRouS
2015 f150 xlt 4x4 36k miles, found sliding glass top rail loose the other day. Took top bracket off. Theres only 4 tiny pieces of double sided tape holding this on. I scraped it off and used sticker remover to get the residue off. Soapy water did the rest. Going to wally world to get some gorilla double sided all weather tape holds up to 30lbs (figured this should do the trick). Still have to remove tape pieces from truck. I did not remove the glass just the rail. I will post my finished work and update to see if it holds.
any update?? mine is doing the same exact thing
Old 01-06-2019, 10:52 AM

Received 65 Likes on 43 Posts

Originally Posted by MurDeRouS
Can you post pics of the problem and your fix? I'm not having an issue right now but I'd like to be educated if mine comes loose.
Old 01-18-2019, 11:39 AM

Default Update to window fix

I wasnt able to get photos but my fix seems to be working window is fully functional and seems to have no leaks. What i did was apply double sided tape made by gorilla has 30lb strength. Took plastic window guide off you will have to use a razor to clean the old tape off. The areas where the tape goes is visible after cleaning both surfaces. There are 4 places where tape goes 2 on ends and 2 near middle (one on each side of sliding window. The end pieces required 2 pieces stacked and the middle 2 needed 3 pieces of tape stacked. I still notice a tiny gap near top of sliding window but no water has come in as of yet. Also apply the tape to the rear window first i applied it to the plastic guide first time and it didnt come out right
The following users liked this post:
barchief (01-18-2019)
Old 03-21-2019, 10:30 AM

Long time lurker.... This week I had a 2015 F150 that developed a rattle in the back that after investigation the TOP track of the slider was completely disconnected and flopping around. Went directly to the dealership (They needed to do 2 recalls anyway) and the next day was told $1425 to fix (Whole rear window package) and my extended warranty did not cover it to boot! I about fell over! I asked if they had any other options to fix besides replacing the whole window but FORD did not give them any other recourse. After going back and forth a number of times the tech went ahead and cleaned / re-tapped the track back on with the caviete this is a one time thing and no warranty as it went against guidance. BUT it seems to be great! Will have to see how it stays over time but seems to be better attached than when it was new! Rather than just a few pieces of tape it is one solid peace end-end. Just thought I would pass on my experience..... Good luck folks!
The following users liked this post:
Laurie R (09-17-2020)
Old 03-21-2019, 11:18 AM

Received 63 Likes on 52 Posts

Originally Posted by kwstump
Long time lurker.... This week I had a 2015 F150 that developed a rattle in the back that after investigation the TOP track of the slider was completely disconnected and flopping around. Went directly to the dealership (They needed to do 2 recalls anyway) and the next day was told $1425 to fix (Whole rear window package) and my extended warranty did not cover it to boot! I about fell over! I asked if they had any other options to fix besides replacing the whole window but FORD did not give them any other recourse. After going back and forth a number of times the tech went ahead and cleaned / re-tapped the track back on with the caviete this is a one time thing and no warranty as it went against guidance. BUT it seems to be great! Will have to see how it stays over time but seems to be better attached than when it was new! Rather than just a few pieces of tape it is one solid peace end-end. Just thought I would pass on my experience..... Good luck folks!
yeah.. that top rail is not an individual part.. it is part of the "Back Window Package", which is the stupidest thing I have ever heard of.. I contacted Ford customer care and they were able to offer me a replacement for 400 bucks, but to me, that was not acceptable since I have the extended warranty.. I called the warranty folks and they said that the back glass is not a covered part, and that is why when the dealership looks it up, it comes back as a non-covered part because it is all one piece... however, they did tell me that there are circumstances that they will replace the whole thing under the extended warranty, such as if the rear defroster goes out.... they wanted me to contact my dealership and give them my case number with the extended warranty folks.. when I called the dealer and talked to my service adviser, he completely brushed me off telling me that he didn't have time to call them and that it may be a few days before he could call them.. that was over 2 weeks ago, and have not heard anything back, so I have pretty much given up on them..

so here's what I did..

I removed the top rail completely, got rid of all the old tape (four spots), and ordered and applied heavy duty 3M spoiler/side molding tape... 30 something bucks for 10 yards x 1/2 inch... it seems to be holding up pretty well now.
Old 05-31-2019, 08:25 PM

Default Fixed at last.

So the double sided tape didnt last long in Florida heat. I took the top bracket back off and scraped both surfaces clean. The rail has 2 edges that run down the top and bottom of this bracket. I sanded them flush with the bracket to have a uniform mating surface. I went out and bought clearweld by JB Weld. Applied it and took two ppl to hold it in place and applied alot of pressure on the sliding window and outside edges of the rail. It take about 10 mins to really harden up to where it will not move so beware it sucks applying force and holding it trying not to move for that long. I let it stay for 48 hours and it seems to be working fine. Stuff lasts from -40 to 350 degrees F; so dnt have to worry about heat build up in my truck from the sun. Wipe the rail and top of window where the rail sits down with acetone or lacquer thinner i used lacquer thinner, test fit the rail before applying the epoxy. I found out from my own truck they did apply urethane or some other rubber type of sealant on that piece the four pieces of tape are just to hold it down and in place while that dries. Its sad Ford wants $1400 to fix this when testing shouldve been done or better engineering. The epoxy trick has worked for me and it may work for other people but do this at your own risk. I was about to have an auto company tear out this slider and put in a solid piece but im cheap so I just JB Welded it in place. Goodluck guys and that sucker doesnt move anymore or rattle

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Rear Power Sliding Window Top Track Loose