Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Rear Brake Adjustment

Search this Thread

Old 03-06-2012, 05:10 PM
Gol4

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rear Brake Adjustment

Bought my 1998 f150 4x4 several months ago as a project vehicle. When I first got it the brake self adjuster actuator was missing from the rear drivers side (drum brakes) I installed new shoes and hardware and figured that all was good. After a few weeks I noticed that drivers brake was grabbing. I examined it found everything looked good adjusted it back and thought perhaps I had just set it too tight. Nope a few days later, grabbing again. This time I double check everything. Drum is perfectly round and worn evenly. Back plate is not bent and shoes are in correct position Adjuster is correct, Contact points are lubed and cylinder is not seizing. I even threw in a new adjuster and set of shoes since the others got over heated. A few days later sure enough grabbing again. After repeating this cycle many times I finally snapped off the actuator so it could not contact the adjuster gear, backed off the adjuster and have been running several days with out issues. Looking for thoughts as to what would cause this to over adjust.

Quick Reply: Rear Brake Adjustment