Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Purge Solenoid Vibration

Old 02-28-2016, 01:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purge Solenoid Vibration

I am desperate for help and I will start by saying it is NOT a vacuum leak. I have a 2003 Windstar (this was the best forum I could find). The purge solenoid vibrates and makes a terribly loud high pitched hum or whistle sound inside the cabin. There is no MIL or codes. I can physically grab the solenoid and feel the vibration and dampen the sound. I replaced the solenoid but that didn't fix it. I have completely removed the vent valve from the system and all I got was a check engine light from that. It does it with the gas cap on or off (though less when off), full tank or empty, and like I said, with the vent valve completely removed (vacuum). With the vent valve electrical plug off it does not vibrate though I suspect that's because the computer isn't activating the purge valve because of the "Malfunction" detected. I understand the solenoid pulses a duty cycle which could account for the vibration but I also considered something plugged. I'm pretty certain I ruled out any plugging and have concluded it is directly related to the Duty Cycle of the solenoid. BUT WHY? the solenoid is on rubber mounts and should not make noise when active. What the hell might the problem be and what might fix it. I'm an experienced mechanic so don't hald back but please god help!!
Old 02-28-2016, 05:34 PM

Received 22 Likes on 17 Posts

What dtc's do you have? P0455, P0456, etc? I believe you have a blockage in the evaporative emissions system such as the screen on the EVAP vent solenoid on the charcoal canister.
Old 02-28-2016, 07:09 PM

No codes present. I thought a plug in the system too but with the vent valve removed from all vacuum lines/sources and still plugged in electrically, it still does it. Basically a huge leak at the tank and the canister. Has anybody heard of a recall or TSB or something?
Old 02-28-2016, 10:37 PM

This TSB was from '03 and addressed slow fuel fill on '01-'03 Windstar and addresses the restriction issue which you probably have.

Old 03-06-2016, 09:52 AM

Holy Crap! I'm going to take a high powered rifle to a clock tower if I can't solve this issue. I Blown through every single line in the EVAP system both directions. Everything is flowing fine. I believe I have completely eliminated an obstruction. Still, the solenoid audible vibrates. No Check engine light. Nothing. I've almost ruled it a factory programming issue. One last alternative is the fuel tank pressure sensor. Maybe it's not sensing and the computer is activating the EVAP solenoid in response to a false signal? Maybe? Can someone give me clear test procedure for that? Also, I'm still open to any other possible solutions.
Old 03-06-2016, 02:22 PM

The FTP sensor should read between 2.6-4.5 volts - approx. 2.6 volts with the fuel cap off (system @ atmospheric pressure). Also with the sensor unplugged the PCM will read 5 volts (VREF) you will need a scan tool. I will post the pinpoint tests later when I get home.
Old 03-06-2016, 04:31 PM

Old 03-06-2016, 04:34 PM

Old 08-19-2018, 04:27 AM

Default did you get this fixed? what was the issue?

the thread stopped... did you get it fixed or did you go up the clock tower? i got a noisy purge valve on my 99 windstar
Old 08-19-2018, 08:22 AM

Received 770 Likes on 608 Posts

If he did go up to the clock tower I got a feeling he probably won't be responding. lol
The following users liked this post:
windstar bob (08-19-2018)

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Purge Solenoid Vibration