Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Pulsing hum that disappears when warm

Search this Thread

Old 10-25-2016, 02:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pulsing hum that disappears when warm

Hey Guys! New to the site. Bought my first F150 in July. Its a 2012 XLT XTR 3.5 EcoBoost. Love the truck. I bought it with 117,000 KM and now have 127,000 KM. For my American folks, thats right around 78,000 MILES.

When I bought the truck, the brakes had a small shimmy. No big deal. It also has duratracs at the factory size on 18's with about half life left. I Recently bought a ready lift 1.5" level and had KalTire (chain of tire shops in canada) install it for me, as well as do the necessary alignment.

Now the issue. Since putting the level in, I notice a hum that tends to pulse with speed usually only above 60 KPH or 45 MPH. The strange part is that this goes away after about 30 KM of driving and stays away until the truck has sit for a few hours. The hum/vibration can be felt thru the floor and very faintly thru the steering wheel.

I have tried to look this problem up but haven't found anyone with similar symptoms, especially that of which goes away after some driving has been done. Could this be a tire issue? Alignment not done properly? Brakes involved?

Any input and advice is greatly appreciated before I take it to the dealer or KalTire.
Old 12-03-2016, 03:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Well turns out was the passenger side IWE and hub assembly. Both shot. Figured this out when I had to use 4x4 and the noise went away.
Old 08-06-2018, 05:32 PM

Received 6 Likes on 2 Posts

I wonder if i am having the same problem. I hear a pulsing noise between 55-60 mph. I just got the truck used a couple weeks ago and have not used the 4x4 to see if it goes away.