Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Pulley or Belt squeaking on take off.

Old 06-22-2017, 01:12 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Default Pulley or Belt squeaking on take off.

Hi, I am new to posting on this forum but here goes..

I have a 2013 F150 3.5 liter EcoBoost that is making a squeaky pulley or belt sound on take off. It is defiantly related to engine RPM's. I have 85,000 miles on it and never changed any belts or pulleys.

My brother's pickup started doing the exact same thing at 105,000 miles.

Can anybody give me a good idea what I should replace first?

Also my rear shocks are shot and wondering where I should get new ones or what brand should I go back with? Just stick with Ford shocks?

Thanks in advance.
Old 06-23-2017, 04:00 PM

Received 31 Likes on 28 Posts

Originally Posted by CraigGies
Hi, I am new to posting on this forum but here goes..

I have a 2013 F150 3.5 liter EcoBoost that is making a squeaky pulley or belt sound on take off. It is defiantly related to engine RPM's. I have 85,000 miles on it and never changed any belts or pulleys.

My brother's pickup started doing the exact same thing at 105,000 miles.

Can anybody give me a good idea what I should replace first?

Also my rear shocks are shot and wondering where I should get new ones or what brand should I go back with? Just stick with Ford shocks?

Thanks in advance.
The squeeking can be several things.
Check the belt for any cracking or missing ribs. That can cause slipping, as will a dried out belt. You can try spray belt dressing but that's nothing more than a bandaid. If that stops the squeek, it' s time for a new belt.

Follow the belt diagram on the radiator cowl or stuck under the hood and find the tensioner and idle pullys. Check them for any free play or looseness (you have to release the belt tension to check them). If they do anything but spin freely they are worn and need replacing. Or you can listen for it while someone else starts the truck first, save a few minutes.

If the idle pulley is bad, it rotates in the same direction the bolt is tightened so don' t overtighten it! Use green or blue locktight on the bolt and make sure the pully spins freely.

If it's the tensioner, take a photo so you can mount the new one at the same angle and position.

It's possible it could be alternator shaft, a/c shaft or waterpump bearings too. Check the first 3 items first though, any of them are more likely to be the issue.

As for shocks, that's a personal preferance thing. You can stay factory or go with something that better suits you driving and hauling habits. I like Gabriel shocks for no more than I do....occassional hauling, mostly to & from work....gives a factory ride at a reasonable price. You can find them at Auto Zone, Advanced Auto, Pep Boys and other chain parts stores.
Old 06-24-2017, 08:30 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

I would avoid belt dressing.. all that does is get in the groves and covers the surface of pulley's and make things worse. Replace the serpentine belt with a good polly cog belt.
Old 06-25-2017, 01:47 PM
'97 F150 V8 4.6L

Received 81 Likes on 67 Posts

It's under $100 for a new Gates belt, idler and pulley. Then you can keep your old one for a spare, just in case. But I am a suspenders and belt kind of guy.
Old 10-01-2017, 07:38 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Was actually a manifold bolts broke and manifold gasket broken.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:02 AM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Originally Posted by CraigGies
Was actually a manifold bolts broke and manifold gasket broken.
Well.. I’ll be damned

Search this Thread