Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Post-Seafoam Treatment Troubles

Search this Thread

Old 08-09-2016, 12:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy Post-Seafoam Treatment Troubles

What's going on, y'all..
I'm prepping my 2005 F-150 5.4L Triton with 154,000 miles for a cross-country trip from Jacksonville, NC to San Diego, CA. So far, I've serviced the rear differential, done a full rear end brake job, replace my coolant fluid, and tried cleaning up my injectors by sucking up half a bottle of Seafoam in the brake booster line and putting the remainder of the bottle in the tank.

After watching some videos on Seafoam, I expected a whole bunch of smoke to come out of my exhaust, but nothing happened. The engine started laboring like it was supposed to, but then ran smooth again after I finished. I had heard that sometimes if your injectors are really dirty, it just needs to be taken out on the highway and opened up to help push all that crap out. When I got out and floored it, my RPMs shot up, but the truck only got up to about 55 mph and then started laboring really bad again. When I eased back off, my engine started vibrating. I did this several times and eventually I got my normal speed back, and the truck stopped vibrating, but I have yet to see anything come out of the exhaust and now I've got a check engine light.

My thought now is all the crap that was on my injectors is now in my filter and my truck's not getting the fuel it needs so it's throwing a Lean Bank 1 Code. I haven't got the codes read yet, but that's just my guess after reading a few forums on here.

Any thoughts/guidance on what my next step is going to be? Anybody ever had this happen before?
Old 08-10-2016, 06:45 AM

Received 770 Likes on 608 Posts

If you want to clean injectors use Techron in the tank, I wouldn't run anything through the brake booster line. If it was me I would change the oil just in case the oil was diluted with Seafoam getting past the rings, since you are going to be making a long trip.
Old 08-10-2016, 07:29 AM

Thank you. I'll give it a shot this weekend.

I talked to a guy last night about it and he mentioned a possible clogged cc. Could that also be a possibility? I'm no mechanic by any stretch of the imagination, but to me it makes sense for that to be a possible reason I didn't see anything come out of the exhaust when I applied the Seafoam.
Old 08-14-2016, 07:05 PM

So the code was a misfire on cylinder 1. I still had the same tank that had the seafoam in it, so I filled up with new gas and changed the fuel filter and it's run like a charm ever since. I'm still not sure if it was the filter or the new gas that helped me out, but total (including the little tool it takes to get the filter off), it cost around $20 and the cost of a full tank of gas, so I'm pretty content with how it all turned out.
Old 08-14-2016, 08:55 PM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

Even tho the truck is running normal, Check the FPDM before you start your trip. It's located above the spare tire. Take a look to be sure there is no cracking or corrosion of the FPDM body.
If it's not in good shape, order one from Amazon for $60.
The following users liked this post:
gthor92 (08-14-2016)
Old 08-14-2016, 09:54 PM

I appreciate it Joe McMillan. Will do.

Quick Reply: Post-Seafoam Treatment Troubles