Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Phased knock after parts replacement

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2017, 07:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Phased knock after parts replacement

I have an 04 model with the 5.4 3 valve triton. I had a pretty bad phaser knock on the passenger side and I could hear the timing chain rattling around whenever I would start the engine. so I replaced the timing chains, the crankshaft sprocket,the phasers, the tensioners, the guides, the oil pump, all of the lash adjusters, all of the rocker followers, and all of the spark plugs. Torqued everything to spec, timed the engine, new gaskets for everything. I got everything back together and started it up and at first it ran fine, better than before,no noise at all. Then after it got warmed up it started to make a knocking noise on the passenger side again, not as bad as before, but very noticable. I’m at a loss, besides maybe changing the vct solenoids, Which are only about a year old, other than that I have no idea what this could be. Does anyone have any ideas? Any help is greatly appreciated
Old 11-08-2017, 09:12 AM
LightningRod

Received 643 Likes on 514 Posts

Very sorry for your experience. Mine has been perfectly opposite on same model / engine - 18,000 miles later perfectly quiet and strong.

A knock demands thorough description with all surrounding conditions/symptoms if it is to be narrowed down. A good quality audio recording can sometimes (but not always) help - there are so many noises going on it's hard to capture only sounds that count.

Where do you 'think' it is coming from? Does it occur only at certain times? Was the _same_ sound part of the reasons for timing job? Does it fade / increase / decrease in frequency - sound - volume with RPMs? Brand of Parts installed in timing job? Any OTHER disturbing symptoms exist? DTC's?
Old 11-10-2017, 03:48 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

My 07 did the same exact thing. Put it back together and after it warmed up it still sounded horrible. Turns out the cam on the passenger head was completely wiped out. Two of The Middle journals were so far gone metal was covering half of the oil hole on the head.
Old 11-14-2017, 09:25 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello again everyone, sorry It’s taken so long to respond, the knocking noise seems to be coming from the driver side around the valve cover is where I hear it most, I used a rifle cleaning rod as kind of a stethoscope and that seems to be the area it’s coming from. I checked the cam journals, and the cams when I took everything apart, and it’s seemed everything was fine. The cams had shiny spots where the roller followers where riding on it but there were no grooves or anything on them. I took a video from inside with the heater off and the radio off with the windows up and you can hear the knock pretty well, I’m going to try to take a video from inside the wheel well and engine bay. I had a few friends say that it sounded like a manifold leak but, none of us are car mechanics. I’m going to try to post the videos later today when I have better internet, thanks everyone for the help and input.
Old 11-14-2017, 12:16 PM
Renaissance Honky

Received 154 Likes on 134 Posts

Sea foam in the intake would let you know if that joint is leaking. Or a small piece of vinyl tube, one end by the ear, one end works its way around all the manifold joints.
The following users liked this post:
F150Torqued (11-14-2017)