Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

P0345, P0349, P2197 codes, please help!

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2013, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0345, P0349, P2197 codes, please help!

First, I did search these forums but never found the same exact problem. I found problems very simliar, but the poster never posted to what they actually found the problem to be, after countless people giving ideas.
Second, this is going to be a slightly longer post... Sorry.
Third, I am a diesel engine mechanic, but will admit that I don't know much about gas engines. Silly spark plugs :-)

I have a 2005 F150 with the 5.4 3 valve in it. 178,000 miles, Regular maint, never ever every had a problem. I'm the first owner, getting the truck with 14 miles on it. Never once let my wife drive it hehehe.

Regualr maint, execpt spark plugs. After being scared by everybody having problems, I finally did it for the FIRST time now. I broke (expected) 6 plugs total. I was able to extract all the broken plugs, except 4 and 8 (go figure).

After hours of trying, I decided what the heck, the heads are coming off. I tore the engine down to nothing, pulled the heads and extracted the broken plugs.

I bought the alldata subscription for my truck, and followed it to a T for reassembly.

I made the mistake of picking up one of my heads by the cam gear, and the cam flopped on me. No big deal... right? I followed the proceure to a T to re-time my engine... Finished the engine rebuild without a problem, and a very very expensice head gasket kit from felpro.

Started the truck, and the engine spit and sputtered, barely idling at around 400RPM. Let it idle for a while to work out the kinks, no change. Pulled battery terminals again, pulled and reconnected ecm plugs again, same with the alternator.

Started the truck, still spitting and sputtering. Throttled up to 2000RPM, runs smooth. BAM, check engine light comes on.

P0345, P0349, and P2197 (02 sensor lean). Read up on the codes, all for bank 2 cam sensor. I run to advanced auto and pick up two cam sesnors. I replaced both sensors, reset the codes, and restart the truck. SAME problem.

Re-researched the prolbem here and on other forums. Figured I made a mistake with the timing on bank 2. Admitted I made a mistake and retarted bank 2 by a tooth or two. I tore the valve covers and front covers back off. Marked my chain and gears on where it was currently, and reperformed the timing on both banks. I finished the timing AGAIN, and holly crap, my old marks match up! I was right the first time!

So here I am with the valve covers off, the front cover off, etc. Knowing that I will have cam codes when I put it all back together, because my timing was right the first time. Also knowing that both cam sensors are new... So the question is, do I spend the money on replacing the cam phaser and VCT sensor on bank number 2? Or should I put it back together and cross my fingers? I'm thinking my luck won't change, considering I didn't change anything by retiming it.

I know people have these codes and problems all the time, but when something suggests checking for their timing jumping a tooth, the person with the problem never gets back to the forum with an answer of if it was off, and if they fixed the problem. Here I am, checked the timing, found it right. Whats next?

I'm thinking to replace the VCT sensor and put it all back together. However, with money tight (everybody knows that) and time tight (i've been borrowing a vechicle for work) I'm nervous that I will be wasting my time.

Can somebody please help me. Anybody have the same problems?

Thanks,

Mike
Old 05-29-2013, 10:05 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

I'm not sure why you pulled the heads. You started off in the right direction changing the cam sensors. The lean codes on a gas engine are usually the result of a vacuum leak around the intake manifold,like the PCV Valve, EGR Valve or just hoses in general. Even an O2 sensor code can be a lean condition.
All that said, In my opinion I'd put that sucker back together and run it. Your time is FREE when it's your truck. lol
Old 06-02-2013, 08:02 AM

The second time I just pulled the valve covers and front cover to check the timing. I haven't touched the truck in a couple of days. Even though I need it up and running, I needed a break from it.
I think I'm just going to throw a couple of dollars at it and cross my fingers.
Get a new O2 sensor, possibly a VCT solenoid, and put it back together. While doing so, double check all my hoses and wires. I'm crossing my fingers that I find something silly like a pinched wire. :-(
Old 10-28-2013, 04:22 PM
k_h
HMFIC

Received 15 Likes on 15 Posts

sorry to bring this back up... what was the fix? still have the codes? I got p0349 and p0345 after changing out the driverside cam phaser. VCT solenoids are less than 6 months, replaced cps... clear codes and still get the same codes after clearing them. Truck idles and runs fine.

I've been reading that it could be an alternator problem. A bad generator in the alternator. Read this on the mustang forums.
Old 10-28-2013, 06:52 PM

Received 239 Likes on 223 Posts

Look at UR highest code P2197 it is an air leak, malf egr, pcv. UR O2 may be bad connection or wire damaged.

The p0344/p0349, have UR alternator tested.

Last edited by papa tiger; 10-28-2013 at 06:56 PM.
Old 08-15-2014, 05:43 PM

Just for information I had exact same symptoms and codes, after changing the VVt's that were chattering badly, It still stalled then i changed the oil with synthetic oil and problem cleared right up.
It was a 2006 F150 with a 5.4 and I had just purchased it.
Old 12-29-2019, 01:36 PM

Default Update

Did you ever figure out the problem. I’m having the same issue
Old 12-29-2019, 02:01 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Brad Straeck
Did you ever figure out the problem. I’m having the same issue
Considering the op posted this almost 7 years ago. I'd say they fixed or sold it.

Quick Reply: P0345, P0349, P2197 codes, please help!