Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

P0171 has you going in the wrong direction.

Search this Thread

Old 03-31-2019, 09:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default P0171 has you going in the wrong direction.

A few days ago I was headed to the golf course and got a Service Engine Soon light. OK, will check that.
That afternoon I got a P0171, Bank 1 Sensor ! indicated lean with a lot of other things pointing in that direction.
Checked for air leaks and found none, so bit the bullet and brought a sensor, boy are they proud of those suckers.
For those that have never replaced the front sensor on the passenger side, I'll give a quick DIY, let some one else do it. LOL It can be done but you will have more trouble with the plug than the sensor and it's a knuckle buster. Get yourself some room by taking the wheel off and the inner fender out, pretty standard removal, 7/32 socket and about 5 zerk fittings. Don't forget the ABS wire plug about half way back on the inside. The size wrench calls for the 7/8 or 22 MM socket. They are not the same I don't care what the package says. The 7/8 will round the edges off the points if the sensor is stuck at all, by that time the 22 MM ring wrench I cut a slot in to make a line wrench had no chance.
The answer is simple but you never see it discussed is a 14 inch pipe wrench, lots of room to get it on and break it loose. I know it's a simple tool, but it does have to be used properly. The moving part goes away from you and the solid part braces against the square flat, as you pull it tightens up, the harder you pull the tighter it gets. It puts pressure on the outside, applying much more torque that straight down. I did use some heat from a propane torch and let it cool down then added some WD40, BE AWARE WD40 will flame if too hot, so let it cool. Get the wires unplugged by pushing the tab down and using needle nose to pull the connector out of hiding. Use the reverse to put it back until it clicks..
The result of all this proved to be the same idle stalling and rough running engine. Now the codes are number 6 plug missing and every Oxygen sensor in trouble. That's not good, so what now coach?
Decided to get real serious on the air leak adventure.
Who would put a right angle rubber hose at the top back of the engine behind the TB. It goes to the PCV and was split in the corner. Took a small razor blade cutter to get it where it would come off. Denso sales a small kit that that has both ends for the PCV tube for $7 at Autozone.
Problem solved and runs great. A little miss and still getting the P0306, so got a set of plugs and a fuel filter. Changing plugs looks like another back buster.
Ain't this fun.
Wayne

Quick Reply: P0171 has you going in the wrong direction.