Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

OSS Location?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-19-2018, 09:23 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default OSS Location?????

'13 F-150, 4x4, 5.0L

Started getting the wrench light show up on the dash and the speedometer would go out. Also at times have problems wanting to go in to gear. If I turn the truck off and on again it usually fixes the problem. But the truck is obviously not shifting correctly.

Took it to shop and they said output speed shaft sensor was the code. And I needed to take it to a transmission shop because the sensor is located INSIDE of the transmission. From everything I can find it says it is on the OUTSIDE.

Can anyone confirm where the sensor is located on a '13?
Old 07-19-2018, 03:40 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

It's inside the leadframe, valve body has to be removed to access it.

SECTION 307-01: Automatic Transaxle/Transmission — 6R80 2013 F-150 Workshop Manual

DESCRIPTION AND OPERATION Procedure revision date: 08/30/2012

Transmission Electronic Control System

Powertrain Control System The PCM controls the electronic functions of this transmission. A plastic molded leadframe is bolted to the main control assembly. The leadframe contains the Turbine Shaft Speed (TSS), Output Shaft Speed (OSS), Transmission Fluid Temperature (TFT) and Transmission Range (TR) sensors.

Last edited by RLXXI; 07-19-2018 at 03:45 PM.
The following users liked this post:
Unlimited HP (01-11-2019)
Old 10-14-2018, 02:15 PM

Default Lead Frame Recall

i have a 2011 f150 xlt, and I am having similar issues associated with the recall for the lead frame. My speedometer will start to drop and transmission downshifts erratically to try and compensate. I’ve discovered that when I’m in cruise control it doesn’t down shift. No codes show up and no wrench.

I have taken it to two local ford dealers and both say it’s the same procedure as the recall but my VIN does not fall under the recall. However my vehicle falls under the same year, model, manufacturing plant, manufacturing date and everything, just doesn’t show up for the dealers. One was wanting to charge me $1,800 to replace the lead frame and the other was $1,100. I went to a local reputable transmission shop and they quoted me $680.

Just trying to gather thoughts here. Should I be under the recall? Is there anyway ford can investigate if my vehicle should have been included? Seems dumb to be the same model and everything and for me to have to pay to replace it.

Other thoughts or suggestions as to what else it might be?
Old 10-14-2018, 03:14 PM

If it don't show up in the recall then the part was supplied by a company that did not have a recurrent issue with it. The parts in our trucks can be made from completely different companies one behind the other on the assembly line.

It's covered under the 5yr/60k mile power train warranty as well as if you have an extended warranty. Beyond those limits with no recall and no extended warranty your sol.
Old 10-14-2018, 04:43 PM

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
If it don't show up in the recall then the part was supplied by a company that did not have a recurrent issue with it. The parts in our trucks can be made from completely different companies one behind the other on the assembly line.

It's covered under the 5yr/60k mile power train warranty as well as if you have an extended warranty. Beyond those limits with no recall and no extended warranty your sol.
Yeah and I can understand that. Just seems like an odd coincidence. And it is actually covered up to 10 years in service or 150k miles now if covered under the recall. At least that’s what both dealers told me. https://ford.oemdtc.com/2679/16n02-m...2-ford-lincoln

Mine currently has 122k. But like you said in your other post, tough break. Thanks for the help though
Old 12-21-2018, 10:53 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
It's inside the leadframe, valve body has to be removed to access it.
Retired Powertrain Controls Engineer. I have a very EDUCATED guess as to the failure of the OSS ! This failure has occurred and re-occurred on many different variable reluctance speed sensor over MANY years.

A variable reluctance speed sensor is a chunk of soft iron wrapped by many turns of very fine (30/32 AWG ?) copper wire. The whole messed is placed into a housing and then potted in epoxy.

All material grow and shrink with changes in temperature. Plastics/epoxies are no different. Cheaper grade epoxies grow and shrink more than more expensive "temperature stabilized" epoxies. All of this shrinking and growing actually breaks the wires coming from that coil. Classic case of "wet behind the ears", boy engineer and bean counter trying to save a buck on cheaper epoxy.

Bad things happen when the wrong epoxy is used. Big Dig ceiling collapse
Old 12-21-2018, 11:03 PM

Originally Posted by theoldwizard1
Retired Powertrain Controls Engineer. I have a very EDUCATED guess as to the failure of the OSS ! This failure has occurred and re-occurred on many different variable reluctance speed sensor over MANY years.
Excuse me but why are you quoting my post when I know all of this? Ford did train me after all. Did they get it wrong? LOL

Quick Reply: OSS Location?????