Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Original Plugs on 5.4 3v changed at 188k

Search this Thread

Old 05-14-2019, 10:28 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Default Original Plugs on 5.4 3v changed at 188k

Well, I finally found a shop to agree to change the plugs and actually do it. I picked up my 05 SCrew Lariat 5.4L with 85k on the odometer 4 years ago, and I have taken good care of her, well, sort of. All routine oil changes, diff fluid changes, air filters, shocks and struts, AC compressor and fan clutch, u-joints, rear pinion seal, brakes all around, new IWEs, etc. EXCEPT for plugs. I bought the new plugs 3 years ago when my nephew was going to do them, and that never happened Then, I started hearing horror stories about broken plugs, pulling heads, and $$$$ in repair costs.
Then, the hard part was actually finding a shop other than the stealership willing to even attempt them.4 hard No's, 3 different garages telling me that they couldn't do it, and one that "tried" and couldn't get even one plug loose (let alone broken) before saying they couldn't do it either. Then, I found a neighborhood shop to do them. Since I had to replace a blown alternator (died on the way to get the plugs changed if you can imagine that), when the tow truck dropped the truck at the garage, Casselberry Auto Care in Casselberry, FL took on the task with no promises. 4 hours later they call, and I'm expecting bad news, because I didn't think there was any way they could be done yet. To my surprise, all 8 plugs came out unbroken. Gaps were 2+ times spec (0.112"), but they did not break. Maybe I left them in long enough and ran enough Sea Foam and other combustion chamber cleaners through, that the crud turned to ash.
Old 05-15-2019, 06:31 AM

Received 489 Likes on 423 Posts

I would bet they were changed before you bought the truck.
Old 05-15-2019, 09:06 AM

Received 1,208 Likes on 969 Posts

With a gap like that, probably so

Quick Reply: Original Plugs on 5.4 3v changed at 188k