Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Okay, let's go over this again......

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2012, 07:35 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Okay, let's go over this again......

Okay, I've asked this before. I'm just looking for a little clarification, as I have never done anything cosmetic before. I want to paint/undercoat all of the metal underneath the truck. I also have step bars that are pitted with rust and I would like to paint get them back to black. Right now they are mostly faded and orange with surface rust. I also have a brush guard that I like, but its got some two big gaping rusted out holes about and inch and a half across where the po decided it would be a good idea to cut off the top cross member. Right now they are taped up, but I'd like to fix it if possible- I can't weld though. What are the best tools and methods I can employ to do accomplish all of these things myself to where it actually not only looks good but is effective in preventing the rust problem from getting worse? My tool chest consists of a new sanding wheel for my cordless drill, a big wire brush and a little wire brush. I am having to do this laying on my back in my gravel driveway. Should I get a rubberized undercoat and hit everything metal, or is a rust inhibiting lacquer like Rustoleum okay, or should I undercoat somethings, and just spray paint some others? I live in central NC, so we don;t get a lot of snow, mostly ice, so maybe once or twice a year they slag the roads. I'm just dealing with a Connecticut truck, so I'm having to play catch up.
Old 10-14-2012, 08:48 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

In my personal opinion I really like the rubberized coating. Anytime your going to apply paint/rubber I can't stress enough to sand all the surface and wipe clean with a good de-greaser, this is key! As for hole patching everyone has their own methods, I usually clean and apply a steel mesh with good old bondo on steel surfaces. Fiberglass is another good option but a bit more messy and sanding involved. And be sure to use a good quality primer. I'm not a pro when it comes to body work but I keep all of my vehicles rust free, and i live in Quebec, land of salty roads. Good Luck
Old 10-15-2012, 01:58 PM

Received 160 Likes on 148 Posts

POR 15 google it this stuff is bullit proof just don't get it on your skin.
Old 10-15-2012, 02:56 PM

Ok, so the rubberized coating seems to be the suggestion so far. Now which parts gets rubberized? Anything metal? Frameand underbody only? Leafs, hubs, sterring,diffs? Yeah, I really have no idea whta I'm doing here
Old 10-15-2012, 09:45 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Wheel wells, rocker panels for sure as they gather most of the road debris. After I usually hit the frame, brake and fuel lines. Anything else is overkill, but if you want it to last overkill does not exist anything metal doesn't hurt. Leafs probably won't stay coated very long.
Old 10-15-2012, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by joe_83
Wheel wells, rocker panels for sure as they gather most of the road debris. After I usually hit the frame, brake and fuel lines. Anything else is overkill, but if you want it to last overkill does not exist anything metal doesn't hurt. Leafs probably won't stay coated very long.
Well, my job just got easier, cause the rockers are already GONE! But okay, thanks for the info, fellas. Been a big help.

Quick Reply: Okay, let's go over this again......