Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Oil drain Plug

Search this Thread

Old 02-14-2016, 11:07 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Default Oil drain Plug

If this question comes off as amateur, I apologize. I seem to have a leak from the oil drain plug. Cars I've owned in the past typically had a washer or gasket or you were instructed to replace it with oil changes. What does the 2010 F150 require? Do I just need to torque it down more, or does it require a new plug or a washer?

Last edited by tower06; 02-14-2016 at 11:08 AM. Reason: spelling
Old 02-14-2016, 11:14 AM
Cycle For Fun and Health

Received 495 Likes on 384 Posts

Try one of these and you wont have to worry anymore.
Amazon.com: Fumoto F-107N Engine Oil Drain Valve: Automotive Amazon.com: Fumoto F-107N Engine Oil Drain Valve: Automotive
This one may not be correct for your truck. Check the fit before you order.
Old 02-14-2016, 12:35 PM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

agree with Joe... never have to remove the oil drain plug again.. have had these in all my cars and trucks..
Old 02-14-2016, 12:46 PM

Received 83 Likes on 74 Posts

Originally Posted by tower06
If this question comes off as amateur, I apologize. I seem to have a leak from the oil drain plug. Cars I've owned in the past typically had a washer or gasket or you were instructed to replace it with oil changes. What does the 2010 F150 require? Do I just need to torque it down more, or does it require a new plug or a washer?

Did you change the oil yourself, or was it done by someone else? In either case, a little bit of grit between the plug and the pan can cause a very slow leak. What volume is coming out? In your place I'd take it out, wipe it down really good and replace. Of course there will be the complication of the oil in the pan...hopefully it's time to change it.

The Fumoto valve is a good thing to get, those who have it, swear by it. I haven't ordered mine just yet.
Old 02-14-2016, 10:08 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

On my 2011 the oil drain plug has a rubber O ring on it. I would assume you replace the hole bolt. I bought on of the quick drain plugs like above.
Old 02-15-2016, 09:46 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by JLTD
Did you change the oil yourself, or was it done by someone else? In either case, a little bit of grit between the plug and the pan can cause a very slow leak. What volume is coming out? In your place I'd take it out, wipe it down really good and replace. Of course there will be the complication of the oil in the pan...hopefully it's time to change it.

The Fumoto valve is a good thing to get, those who have it, swear by it. I haven't ordered mine just yet.
It was changed before I purchased last week, but I was planning on putting in synthetic after a few hundred miles, so I know whats in it.

Sound like the Fumoto is the way to go.

Thanks.

Quick Reply: Oil drain Plug