Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Occasional Manual Shift Problem After Extended Freeway Driving

Old 06-19-2017, 01:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Occasional Manual Shift Problem After Extended Freeway Driving

Hello all, first post here so please let me know if I'm missing something. Not super car savvy, but I know enough to get by.

I have a 2001 f150 xl with the triton v8 4.6l equipped with a manual transmission.

Overall the truck is in pretty good shape. I've had it for a little over a year now with almost no issues. When I first bought it I thought it was shifting a little strangely, as when I go to put it into gear (any gear) sometimes I have to lightly press it into gear and hold it there for a small fraction of a second before it goes in. Not sure if that's an issue or even related to the issue I'm having but I figured I'd mention it.

the issue is that sometimes (not every time) when I go to shift into third gear after being on the freeway for longer than 30 minutes or an hour, it will make a grinding noise. I can put the gear shifter all the way onto position but it just grinds and doesn't feel like it's actually doing anything. Needless to say, I take it out right away. Usually What I do is pull over, turn the car off, restart it and then it'll work after a minute. This NEVER happens in the city, only after coming off the freeway. It has happened when trying to downshift to 3rd and when getting off the freeway, stopping, and trying to shift back up to 3rd. Hasn't happened with any other gear so far. A friend suggested it might be the synchros, but I'm not sure since it only happens under that specific condition. Another friend said I'd probably need a transmission rebuild.

Any ideas? (An accompanying explanation would be cool, too, since I'd like to learn while I'm here) Thanks!

Last edited by Andrewm1; 06-19-2017 at 01:30 AM. Reason: Spelling correction

Search this Thread