Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Not charging battery-Alt. tests good by NAPA

Search this Thread

Old 10-06-2018, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Not charging battery-Alt. tests good by NAPA

97 F150 4.6 auto 4X4 mechanical. The small 20amp fuse is good and continuity good to alt. plug. Voltage on one pin,ground okay but high Megohms to third wire even with ignition on. Dash light may be burnt out- Wish I had a better print to work with. The dash gauge shows battery voltage dropping as it runs and if lights are on it drops pretty fast.Interstate battery shows 12.86 and I have been charging it but running shows 12.09 and truck dies around 10volts. I read some other posts which were helpful and I will wiggle harnesses and don't know how old the Alt. is, looks like a reman. tested good cold at Advance and napa and O'reilly

Last edited by I-DO-IT; 10-06-2018 at 12:43 PM. Reason: Added info
Old 10-06-2018, 02:30 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by I-DO-IT
97 F150 4.6 auto 4X4 mechanical. The small 20amp fuse is good and continuity good to alt. plug. Voltage on one pin,ground okay but high Megohms to third wire even with ignition on. Dash light may be burnt out- Wish I had a better print to work with. The dash gauge shows battery voltage dropping as it runs and if lights are on it drops pretty fast.Interstate battery shows 12.86 and I have been charging it but running shows 12.09 and truck dies around 10volts. I read some other posts which were helpful and I will wiggle harnesses and don't know how old the Alt. is, looks like a reman. tested good cold at Advance and napa and O'reilly
Perhaps this will help.

Old 10-07-2018, 11:04 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Thumbs up Up and running !

Much better print than the Haynes Manual. Thanks. The fuse between the Ignition and Instrument cluster had only one male contact making with the fuse box. Someone in the past must have jammed another wire or something in with it and it wasn't making, felt resistance going in and out but only one leg , no feel using a tool but by hand I could tell. It checked good with the VOM initially so I moved on. I put a twist on a new fuse and everything came back to life . I chased that problem for two days .

Quick Reply: Not charging battery-Alt. tests good by NAPA