Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

No shifting from 3-4, goes to neutral

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2018, 08:44 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default No shifting from 3-4, goes to neutral

Hey guys,

I'm totally stumped, so any feedback is super appreciated!

I have a 2004 f-150 4.6, 4x4, auto transmission.

Long of the short is that I was driving out to pick something up one day, and on the way out the transmission was working as normal. Once I fired the truck back up (after a few minutes) and began to drive back home, the truck had lost the ability to shift into fourth gear. It'll shift normally from 1-2, 2-3, but when it's time to shift into 4 the truck just goes into neutral.

I don't drive the truck a lot, so I've been just putting around the city in low gear for the past month or so. Today I had the codes read and nothing pops up for my transmission. In doing a bit of research I was prompted to try running the truck with O/D OFF (O/D on is the default), and low-and-behold the truck shifts perfectly fine with the O/D off. 4x4 is also working fine, and my transmission fluid is to spec (other than the fact it may need to be changed).

I was running with the idea that I might need to replace shifting solenoids, but now that it's working with O/D off, I'm not sure that's the problem - not to mention no OBD codes popped up.

Any idea on what the issue may be?

Thanks a lot!

Travis
Old 10-21-2018, 08:23 AM

Received 770 Likes on 608 Posts

https://www.f150online.com/forums/tr...roke-pics.html

Don't know if this is your problem or not, but you have lost O/D.

Last edited by JCR 56; 10-21-2018 at 10:56 AM.
Old 10-21-2018, 12:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

It definitely looks like it! Lots of useful info in that thread. Thanks a lot for pulling that up for me.

Cheers!
The following users liked this post:
JCR 56 (10-21-2018)

Quick Reply: No shifting from 3-4, goes to neutral