Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Newbie/ tune up/ what to look out for.

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2018, 11:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Newbie/ tune up/ what to look out for.

Hey guys, new to The Forum. I just picked up a nice 1989 Ford F150 custom low mile zero rust, 300 straight 6 with a 4-speed manual trans. I believe it's the t18 first is a granny gear. The shocks are pretty shots I went ahead and put a pro comp 2 inch leveling kit shocks all the way around. I ditched the two catalytic converters and welded in two and a half inch pipe to a Flowmaster Super 40 all the way to the tailpipe. I chopped the tube off the first catalytic converter and plug where it went into a air pump I believe. The truck runs pretty good I plan on doing a tune-up to it, new plugs plug wires distributor cap I've already changed the oil checked all the ball joints and leaf springs. Truck shifts good I do hear small tick in the back left of the engine bay, I can't tell if that's an exhaust manifold leak yet but I'm pretty sure it is. Also, the steering feels pretty floaties I don't know if there's a way to tighten this up? just wondering what some other things I should do for a tune-up. Thanks
https://imgur.com/a/7tLfWSe

Last edited by Ethan Woodard; 12-11-2018 at 11:52 AM.
Old 12-12-2018, 10:22 AM

Received 1,208 Likes on 969 Posts

Most exhaust manifold cracks or leaks will cause a ticking noise, especially when the engine is cold. if the truck runs good i would wait to do a tune up
Old 12-13-2018, 05:56 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by DarrinT04
Most exhaust manifold cracks or leaks will cause a ticking noise, especially when the engine is cold. if the truck runs good i would wait to do a tune up
got any advice on changing out the manifold gasket or manifold itself? I watched this video
on the torque sequence but it seems like a hell of a job. Im definetly willing to.do it.

Quick Reply: Newbie/ tune up/ what to look out for.