Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

New to Forum: Question about purchasing used F150

Search this Thread

Old 09-26-2015, 06:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New to Forum: Question about purchasing used F150

Hi Guys. I have been reading for a while, but this is my first time joining/posting. Great forum, and I could use your advice. I am looking at a 2007 F 150 5.4L Crew Cab with 60K miles. Went to test drive it today and it was a beautiful truck, but it had a ticking sound when I started and drove it. Sales guy said it is minor and probably the lifters and he said his guy could fix it before purchase. I'm reading and hearing it could be much worse. Any thoughts? Is this a Red Flag?

Thank you for any insight.
Old 09-27-2015, 04:45 PM
LightningRod

Received 640 Likes on 513 Posts

Talking WHAT!!!! A NOISE in a 5.4L engine ???

Originally Posted by Alzeda
... Sales guy said it is minor and probably the lifters and he said his guy could fix it before purchase. ...

If this Sales guy THINKS his guy can fix it ----- the guys here on this Forum can send him several thousand other 5.4l's he can fix. If this "ticking sound" bothers you, I'd suggest you should give him the challenge of "fixing it".

Originally Posted by Alzeda
I'm reading and hearing it could be much worse. Any thoughts? Is this a Red Flag?

Having said the above - in gest only - 60k is very low mileage. Just about EVERY 5.4L in the world has the famous "ticking" sound (including mine) and even other strange noises. They can go literally hundreds of thousands of miles with it without serious consequences (including mine @ 206k +). Oh yes, any kind or model can croak at about any time, but what you have described is not a big problem beyond its annoyance.

Good luck and congrats in finding a nice low millage truck.

Quick Reply: New to Forum: Question about purchasing used F150