Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

New Buyer Suggestions

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2018, 08:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Buyer Suggestions

Hey everyone. I知 currently in the process of searching for a truck however, I知 new to the game and would like to do some research before buying one- I was hoping someone from this forum could give me some insight based on their own experience and knowledge. The three truck brands I知 curious about are Ford, Chevy, and Dodge. Two specific models I知 most curious about are the Ford F-150 and Chevy Silverado 1500 z71- both 2009 and up preferably. I haven稚 decided on a specific Dodge pickup model but, I have had the brand both suggested and not suggested to me. The main thing I知 focused on is the trucks reliability. What truck holds up the longest, has had the least reported defects, and if it goes wrong, has the cheapest parts to repair it. I also want to put a lift kit on it, larger cambered tires, and get one with a king-cab. I spoke with my uncle about his 2012 F-250 and he mentioned an issue with the fuel-injection system where it had to be drained shortly after he purchased it. I知 currently in the military so, I知 constantly on the move. While expense isn稚 too much of a concern, I would like to conserve time by ensuring I go with something reliable. I understand that no truck is perfect so, if something goes wrong I壇 like to get it back on the road at the least cost, as soon as possible. Thank you for any effort and suggestions.
Old 01-09-2018, 01:38 PM

Received 116 Likes on 67 Posts

first thing you need to do is drive them all... and start researching the one you like the best. Everyone has different tastes, obviously this forum is slanted towards Ford so your answer here will be buy the Ford. Ford and Chevy should be fairly reliable, each has its own quirks.

Buy and drive what you like.
Old 01-09-2018, 02:18 PM
Mark

Received 2,410 Likes on 2,111 Posts

Agree with butcher... gotta drive them first..what if we told you Ram..and you hated how it drove... I will tell you this.. Ford sells more trucks than anybody year after year...that should tell you something right there. 09/10 F-150 with the 6 speed would be a nice pick.
Old 01-10-2018, 01:28 AM
Hold my beer

Received 435 Likes on 282 Posts

I've been Chevy my whole life (17 years of driving) and just came from a '16 Silverado Z-71 double cab to my 18 F-150. The 16 Silverado has been notorious for transmission issues (mine was one of them) that GM claimed was fine. I don't tolerate expensive toys that don't operate right because they were designed on a Friday afternoon and deemed acceptable. Bottom line is, every manufacturer will put out vehicles with some issues at some point. Test drive everything you are interested in and go from there. Being that you are interested in trucks that are almost a decade old, my primary focus would be on whether or not the truck was maintained properly and passes the eye test. I'd rather drive an 09 Ram that's been maintained regularly and looks clean vs a 2012 F-150 or Silverado that had its oil changed every 15k miles and looks like it was driven like an Enterprise car. Your cheap repair concern is a million dollar question... won't even dive into that. Properly installed lift kits are fine, but my experience is that you will still replace front end parts more often than a stock vehicle.

Quick Reply: New Buyer Suggestions