Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Mystery Drone/Whine, 2005 F150

Search this Thread

Old 07-29-2015, 10:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Mystery Drone/Whine, 2005 F150

Howdy guys, first post here.

I've been searching the internet for a long time trying to solve this problem but I'm simply at my whit's end. I've seen a few threads with similar problems but nothing that yielded a solution/wasn't a wheel bearing issue.

Problem: Starting at about 30mph, my 2005 - automatic - 5.4L - 2WD - Supercab - Flareside F150 makes a droning/whining noise, coming from the front end. (Does not make noise at idle)

Initially it seemed exclusively dependent on speed (louder/higher pitch the faster the truck is moving.) Lately though, I've noticed that if I give it just a little bit of gas while moving at highway speed, (just enough to move the RPM needle, not enough to make it shift gears), it will change tones/get slightly louder. Putting the truck in neutral while traveling highway speeds does NOT help with the noise, which leads me to believe it is not associated with the transmission.

My initial guess was that it may have been a wheel bearing problem, but after testing it (rocking left to test the right/rocking right to test the left), it yielded no hint as to which side was the culprit. This started approximately 8 months ago.

Jumping forward to last week - the noise had gotten progressively louder, to the point where I started reactively reaching for the radio to "turn it down," whenever I received a phone call on the highway. I took it into a local auto shop where they insisted I needed to replace the rotor/wheel bearing assembly. I followed their advice and replaced both sides, with a new set of pads (brand new spindle nuts and torqued to 295 as per specs). This did NOT help the problem at all.

Do you guys have any suggestions or ideas as to where to look? Serpentine belt? One of the pulleys? Another bearing somewhere? Fuel pump/filter? Ball joints?

Key Notes:
I tried rotating tires a while back, and I purchased brand new tires, within the last month. Neither helped at all. The sound started after leaving the truck sitting in a barn for 2-3 months (covered/away from elements). I was assured that it was started/run at least once a week to cycle fuel. This may be a hint, or might just be coincidence.

There doesn't seem to be "excessive play" when testing the ball joints (jacking it up, shaking the tire/putting a pry-bar under it)

There is play in the rack and pinion/steering column, but I don't think it is associated.

The noise started out as a feint annoyance that only I, but progressed to where passengers think that it is obvious. I noticed it immediately after picking up my truck after that 2-3 month period (I needed to use my family's 3/4 ton pickup).

--------------------------------------------------------
Thank you guys so so much for any and all advice that you have. I sincerely appreciate it. It's gotten to the point where I literally don't know where to look. As a "broke college student" I don't want to spend another couple hundred dollars replacing parts that didn't need replacing..

Sorry for the 100 pages of text I was just trying to make sure to include everything that may help!
Old 07-29-2015, 10:44 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Honestly, thank you all in advance. I really do appreciate any advice you may have.

Quick Reply: Mystery Drone/Whine, 2005 F150