Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

mystery blue wire w/ nostart

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2014, 03:47 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default mystery blue wire w/ nostart

86 f150 w/ 5.0 302 and auto trans 2wheel drive. I was leaving a parking lot yesterday and my truck stalled which it does sometimes because of a dirty in-tank fuel filter. Usually i shift back to neutral and it fires back up. this time is completely stalled and the cab filled with electrical smoke. the in-line fuel pump will not turn on so i had it towed home. Looking under the dash trying to find where the smoke came from i found a 20g blue wire with a fusable link had burnt. if i touch the wires back togetherand turn the key to the run position the wire sends off sparks like crazy. the truck will turn over but the in line fuel pump is not activating so it is not getting fuel. i know just saying a blue wire is vauge but maybe there is a common wire with a fusable link that burns out. any ideas?
Old 05-27-2014, 04:02 PM

here are some diagrams i have found and i circled what i believe to be my problem wire in each picture with blue and crossed the wire in red at the believed break
Attached Thumbnails mystery blue wire w/ nostart-fffff.jpg  
Attached Images  
Old 05-27-2014, 06:52 PM

update: The EEC power relay that the blown wire goes into smells burnt. Could this relay have burnt up on the inside? any ideas or help is greatly appreciated.
Old 05-29-2014, 07:31 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

Yes you've most likely found the issue. The fusible link would not have blown if the relay hadn't fried first. When you replace the EEC make sure you replace the fusible link as well. Use only a 20 gage link when you do. Remember the fusible link is NOT a fuse, rather a wire harness protection device. Most auto stores carry them in the "Help" section Good luck

Quick Reply: mystery blue wire w/ nostart