Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.
Sponsored by:
Sponsored by:

Magnets in the oil (2018 2.7)?

 
Old 02-02-2019, 06:19 PM
  #1  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 533
Recieved 64 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Magnets in the oil (2018 2.7)?

Hi all,

I'm wondering if someone else has ascertained whether or not the oils in our F150s have magnets in them to filter out some ferrous material. My truck is a 2.7 ecoboost and I'd be interested in putting a magnet in five locations: engine oil, transmission oil, transfer case oil, and both differentials. Anybody done this yet?

Thanks!

-kehyler
kehyler is online now  
Old 02-02-2019, 10:25 PM
  #2  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 533
Recieved 64 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

kehyler is online now  
Old 02-03-2019, 05:32 AM
  #3  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Oct 2016
Location: Ohio
Posts: 474
Likes: 0
Recieved 61 Likes on 53 Posts
Default

That's why there are oil filters in place.
raski is offline  
Old 02-03-2019, 09:39 AM
  #4  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 533
Recieved 64 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by raski View Post
That's why there are oil filters in place.
Thanks, but I'm uninterested in discussing the merits of my pursuit. I'm seeking help in my pursuit.
kehyler is online now  
Old 02-03-2019, 10:22 AM
  #5  
Chief Engineer
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Summerville, SC
Posts: 44
Recieved 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default

Couple thoughts here. The transmission already has a magnet in the pan and the rear diff fill plug is magnetic too. ( I don't have FWD so I don't know about the front gearbox.). So it seems Ford sees a benefit in using them. Installing magnets in the engine is a good idea as long as you realize a lot of the metallic wear in the engine is not magnetic. The other issue is securing it in place, the last thing you want happening is the magnet coming loose, breaking up and getting caught somewhere it'll do damage. And then there's the issue of cleaning it. Will you have to drop the oil pan each time to check and clean? Not saying you shouldn't do it, just some thoughts about expectations vs. results.

Let us know what you decide.
Unlimited HP is offline  
Old 02-03-2019, 05:14 PM
  #6  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 533
Recieved 64 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by Unlimited HP View Post
Couple thoughts here. The transmission already has a magnet in the pan and the rear diff fill plug is magnetic too. ( I don't have FWD so I don't know about the front gearbox.). So it seems Ford sees a benefit in using them. Installing magnets in the engine is a good idea as long as you realize a lot of the metallic wear in the engine is not magnetic. The other issue is securing it in place, the last thing you want happening is the magnet coming loose, breaking up and getting caught somewhere it'll do damage. And then there's the issue of cleaning it. Will you have to drop the oil pan each time to check and clean? Not saying you shouldn't do it, just some thoughts about expectations vs. results.

Let us know what you decide.
Yeah, I'm wondering if I should secure the magnets to the outside of the oil filter housing & just wipe any magnetic material off each time I change the engine oil filter. Thoughts?
kehyler is online now  
Old 02-03-2019, 05:30 PM
  #7  
Senior Member
 
KingDeleted's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2018
Posts: 513
Recieved 75 Likes on 55 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by kehyler View Post
Yeah, I'm wondering if I should secure the magnets to the outside of the oil filter housing & just wipe any magnetic material off each time I change the engine oil filter. Thoughts?
Wipe it off from where exactly? In theory your plan should work but any trapped particles would remain inside the oil filter.
KingDeleted is online now  
Old 02-03-2019, 05:34 PM
  #8  
Senior Member
Thread Starter
 
Join Date: Apr 2017
Posts: 533
Recieved 64 Likes on 38 Posts
Default

Originally Posted by FjordsFords View Post


Wipe it off from where exactly? In theory your plan should work but any trapped particles would remain inside the oil filter.
Wipe it off when I have the oil filter out during a chance.
kehyler is online now  
Old 02-04-2019, 03:40 PM
  #9  
Chief Engineer
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: Summerville, SC
Posts: 44
Recieved 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Default

I am far from an expert on this but putting magnets on the oil filter is probably the safest way to go. Thought about putting one or more small rare earth magnets on the end of the drain plug since the heaviest iron particles will settle to the bottom of the oil pan, but positively attaching the magnet(s) is a problem. Putting small magnets around the filter housing keeps them out of the system but I have no idea how effective they will be.

So give it a try and let us know how it works out.
Unlimited HP is offline  
Old 02-04-2019, 04:05 PM
  #10  
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Apr 2016
Location: Maryland
Posts: 192
Recieved 15 Likes on 13 Posts
Default

I recommend this magnet.

bedebe is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread
Quick Reply: Magnets in the oil (2018 2.7)?


Contact Us - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

© 2019 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands

We are a participant in the Amazon Services LLC Associates Program, an affiliate advertising program designed to provide a means for us to earn fees by linking to Amazon.com and affiliated sites.
 
  • Ask a Question
    Get answers from community experts
Question Title:
Description:
Your question will be posted in: