Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Low RPM/Steering issue

Old 04-20-2017, 01:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Low RPM/Steering issue

Hello! This is my first post. I apologize if this has already been addressed.

I have a 2006 Ford F150 XLT with the 5.4 Triton engine in it. When the engine is warm and idling, at times it will be idling around 500 rpm and the steering wheel will be very difficult to turn, unless I give it gas and raise the RPM. While this is happening it makes a whining/moaning sound.

Other times it will idle around 650 RPM and the steering will be fine.

My question is: Do I need to troubleshoot this as a power steering issue or as an intermittently low idle issue? This issue happens frequently while maneuvering in parking lots at low speed if I'm not on the gas constantly. There's been times where I go to turn into a parking lot from the road and I can barely steer without getting back on the gas because the rpm has dropped down to around 500.

Where do I start? Anyone have any ideas?
Old 04-22-2017, 12:06 PM
Nilands55s

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Hello Agent47

This makes sense actually. 500 RPM is not enough to overcome sluggishness or create inertia for the power steering pump. When not turning the wheels the steering the pump basically pumps back into its reservoir, so there is no load on the pump, On some Pumps depending on the setup or design the pump could go up to using 30 HP load at full lock. You know this as if not yours the you have heard the belts squeal when used.
So for me I would start looking at why my idle is so low. Most modern engines are around 800 RPM or higher. For example my Supercrew 4.6L is a minimum of 850 with no A/C on. with the A/C off it still has to supply HP to the Alternator, P/S pump, maybe a smog pump in California, A fan it's self can take 14 HP,and so forth
I know about this from my race car days in another life time.

So in short See what the RPM is supposed to be and then Find out why yours is so LOW

James Niland

Search this Thread