Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Loss of power/throttle response ecoboost

Search this Thread

Old 07-13-2017, 09:27 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Loss of power/throttle response ecoboost

Hello,

I've been a long time lurker and have learned a lot from you guys! I'm hoping the brains here can help troubleshoot. Sorry if this is long, but I'm really stumped. Truck is a 2014 XLT ecoboost (3.5) with max tow.

On Sunday, coming back from a weekend with our travel trailer (5,000 ft elevation), I noticed the truck acting strange. 2-3 times early on, there was a noticeable shutter immediately after letting off the throttle. I was concerned, but didn't think too much about it.

Later, after an hour or so, the truck lost all forward power and throttle response during a slow and easy section of drive. I pulled over and let it idle. Truck idled at about 2200 rims and was very rough running. The "wrench" light came on at the same time.

After a minute or so, I shut off the engine and restarted. We didn't have another issue on the rest of the drive home.

The next day, the same thing happened (while not towing) at 3000 ft elevation. I noticed the stutter after letting off the throttle and after about 15 minutes it lost all power and had to pull off the interstate to restart.

The next day, I took it to the dealer. On the way down (3,600 ft to 10 ft in 45 min) it stuttered a few times, but no loss of power.

They can't figure it out. No codes, no direction for them to head. They checked cylinder compression, the computer, and a couple other ones I can't remember.

Any thoughts? We are leaving on a 3,000 mile trip pulling the trailer in 3 weeks and I'm very nervous about it.

Thanks guys

Last edited by NorCal-Matt; 07-13-2017 at 09:29 PM. Reason: Clarity
Old 07-14-2017, 07:44 PM

So the shop foreman drove it home yesterday with a scanner hooked up and it didn't throw any codes. I'll keep you all informed if/when I figure it out. Which will hopefully be before our upcoming trip.

If anyone has any thoughts or wild speculation, I'd love to hear it! Thanks guys
Old 07-14-2017, 11:46 PM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

shutter issue. do a search on it. several large threads on it.
Old 05-09-2018, 09:03 AM

Default 2014 exoboost loose of throttle

By chance did they ever figure out why the throttle loss ?

Mine is doing the same exact thing Thanks

Originally Posted by NorCal-Matt
So the shop foreman drove it home yesterday with a scanner hooked up and it didn't throw any codes. I'll keep you all informed if/when I figure it out. Which will hopefully be before our upcoming trip.

If anyone has any thoughts or wild speculation, I'd love to hear it! Thanks guys