Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Leveled out truck with sway bar link problem

Search this Thread

Old 03-18-2015, 09:09 AM

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Default Leveled out truck with sway bar link problem

I put Rancho quicklifts in the front of my 2004 Lariat Scab back in Nov '14. While I was in there, I also replaced the sway bar links (since I had to disconnect them anyway to do the shocks). I love the new shocks, they raised the front exactly 2", the ride is great, and I really like the adjustability.

So here's my issue:
This week I noticed a "popping" sound from my front end when I was pulling in my driveway and the truck articulates pretty high. Originally I though maybe an upper or lower ball joint. So last night I had my wife bounce on the front end while I was under there listening and looking for the popping. I discovered it to be the bottom joint of one of the new sway bar links that I just put in in Nov!

I thought I put in some decent ones, but I thought wrong apparently.

So here's my question: Do the taller shocks put more negative (pulling) pressure on the sway bar links? Do I need to get longer sway bar links? Or did I just get crappy sway bar links? It appears that there is a pretty good negative pressure on the links, it took all wife could do to get it to bounce enough so I could see the joint pop down, then back up to where it is normally sitting.

Do I need better sway bar links, or longer, or both? Thanks in advance.
Old 03-20-2015, 09:36 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

Anytime you change suspension parts with aftermarket one you run the risk of having poor performance. Your sway bar is under a lot of tension so the links will move with the angle of the front end, but not always equally. I would jack up the truck slowly and watch how the links move. The pop is probably the link slipping in the mount or the hole in the bar. If the rubbers are too soft it will allow the link to move off center and hit the mount. They don't need to be longer if you haven't changed any other suspension parts besides the shocks. I'd buy some OEM links or get neoprene bushings for the ones you purchased.
Old 03-20-2015, 10:15 AM

Yeah, the pop is the ball moving in the joint. It doesn't move in the hole at all, the nuts are tight and holding well. The links I put in were Dura"last", as in won't be using them anymore! I have some Moog's on the way, hopefully they hold up better.

Note: as I said, I put coilovers on that are 2" higher than the standard, which is why I'm wondering about longer links since the new coilovers push the bottom end of the suspension down an extra 2", therefore putting more pressure on the standard length links. Just wondering what others have done, I can't be the only one with link issues on a leveled truck...
Old 03-23-2015, 09:24 AM

BUMP.

Should I get longer sway bar links? Have any of you guys had to?

Quick Reply: Leveled out truck with sway bar link problem