Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

LEDs causing check engine light and other issues

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-2018, 06:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Unhappy LEDs causing check engine light and other issues

Hi all, I have an issue I can't figure out and I need help.

I drive a 2012 F-150 Platinum Ecoboost. A while back, I swapped the truck's stock taillight bulbs for LED's from F150Leds. For a while, everything was great and worked perfectly. However, one day my drivers side rear blinkers began hyper flashing and a check engine light came up on the dash.

Initially thinking something had came loose, I took the taillight apart again to see what had happened. However, one of the resistors was damaged and a different color than it had initially been. I took these bulbs and harnesses out and replaced them with new stock halogen bulbs on both sides. The issue is still persistent, and I have no idea how to fix it.

I have taken the truck to two different dealerships, who still cannot figure it out. One dealership told me that the engine temperature sensors were not responding and needed to be replaced. I replaced these senors (a hefty bill), and soon after the check engine light came on again. Throughout all of this, the rear drivers side blinker is still hyper flashing.

My truck is about to have an expired registration so I need to get this sorted out as soon as possible. Thank you all for any help or advice.
Old 09-26-2019, 01:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by yutm

I drive a 2012 F-150 Platinum Ecoboost. A while back, I swapped the truck's stock taillight bulbs for LED's from F150Leds. For a while, everything was great and worked perfectly. However, one day my drivers side rear blinkers began hyper flashing and a check engine light came up on the dash.

Initially thinking something had came loose, I took the taillight apart again to see what had happened. However, one of the resistors was damaged and a different color than it had initially been. I took these bulbs and harnesses out and replaced them with new stock halogen bulbs on both sides. The issue is still persistent, and I have no idea how to fix it.

I have taken the truck to two different dealerships, who still cannot figure it out. One dealership told me that the engine temperature sensors were not responding and needed to be replaced. I replaced these senors (a hefty bill), and soon after the check engine light came on again. Throughout all of this, the rear drivers side blinker is still hyper flashing.

My truck is about to have an expired registration so I need to get this sorted out as soon as possible. Thank you all for any help or advice.
Did you ever figure this one out? I just installed led bulbs in projector headlights and I'm having the same issue with my check engine light coming on.
Old 09-26-2019, 08:02 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Red face

Originally Posted by yutm

What we should do when check engine light on but no codes? To know what we should do by visiting the Autoguyslands if you concern.

Have you check the air box and check if any wires are disconnected? The MAF can cause the check engine light on.

Quick Reply: LEDs causing check engine light and other issues