Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Known issues with your trucks

Search this Thread

Old 01-22-2014, 01:27 AM
Awesome Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question Known issues with your trucks

Hi Guys / Girls,

I am planning to buy a F150 this fall but, before I do so, as I know no truck is perfect no matter how you like it, I want to know what are the usual / well known mechanical (or electrical) issues with the F150 (2012-2014) ecoboost 4x4 xlt/xtr.

I want to get an idea how reliable F150 is and if I would be able to fix it myself if a bad luck happen.

Also is there any year or make to avoid?

Thanks for your comments
Old 01-22-2014, 03:44 PM

Received 31 Likes on 31 Posts

McFlab, Just go to the 2009 thru the current model forum, or engines check the 2011+ forum. Probably the biggest complain is the HVAC blend door. Next would be the debate about the eccoboost 3.5 and the 5.0 engine. Have the 5.0 in my 2013 STX, it works fine. Don't really know much about the eccoboost. There isn't a whole lot you can fix on these trucks yourself. Had mine almost a year with no problems. There are plenty of videos pictures and advice in these forums. Good luck.
Old 01-22-2014, 04:52 PM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts

Welcome Mc! I only have an '02 5.4, but have been reading these forums a long time. What I see is:

1. A vibration/shudder that some people have, seems to be all engines, but not engine related.
2. Air conditioner a bit weak.
3. And, the notorious Ecoboost kicking out due to condensation or some such, but I don't think so many have had that ratio wise for number of Ecoboosts on road.

To me, of the above, the shuddering seems the most worrisome. Probably drive line related, driveshaft or something. People who know more than me (that'd be about everybody!) will chime in.

I think Ford fixed the windshield leaks like mine had, and maybe window switch issue too. If not - HEY FORD (yep, that's yelling), fix these issues.

Me? I'm liking what I read about the '15s. I'll be getting one of those - in about 2022!
Old 01-22-2014, 05:31 PM

Received 13 Likes on 11 Posts

One thing I might add is the leak at the cargo light (bed light) I have a 2013 King Ranch, Screw and the water leak problem occurred I believe from 2011-2013 which I don't understand why such a long period of time, such an easy fix to keep the water from entering the cab in the rear.
Old 01-22-2014, 10:12 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by McFlab
if I would be able to fix it myself if a bad luck happen.
If you have basic mechanical aptitude you should be able to handle pretty much everything on the truck.

If you have a couple thousand to spare you can buy the computer the dealer uses for all of the electronics that makes the mechanical work.

Old 01-22-2014, 10:16 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by McFlab
Known issues
The only known (to me issue) is the perpetual grin I can't seem to wipe off my face every time I drive her.

Old 01-23-2014, 02:11 AM
Awesome Member

Thank you guys for your replies:

to little nail:
Thanks for the hint, I will definitely get a closer look to those sections of the forum.

to iFord:
- Vibration seems worrisome indeed. I only had few opportunities to drive a F150 and did not noticed it. I will digg more about it.
- For the AC it's not a big deal as it's never getting hot where I live. I do need a good heating though ... hope this is not an issue like on my actual car who barely maintain a 18°c inside during winter.
- Is there a thread in the forum about this Ecoboost kicking out ?

to 1979vette:
- Interesting this leak issue. Can you share picture or a thread about it?

to Rnlcomp:
Love your last post about your grin
Yeah the computer ... I am not sure I what to go that far it's because of it that our cars are not repairable with our own hand. What a trap this technology. Too much widget kills the widget.
Old 01-23-2014, 11:18 AM

Received 162 Likes on 134 Posts

Mc, do a forum search for Ecoboost issues. I wouldn't worry too much about that. Also, search for shuddering issues. I don't think so many people are having these problems, you know, it's when we have a problem that we squeak and post for answers.

Old Rnl pretty much got it! Driving our trucks is having more fun than a human being should be allowed to have!
Old 01-25-2014, 11:25 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a 2013 XLT supercrew with the ecoboost. I have to say that I love it. The only complaint I had was the stereo. I left the head unit and changed the 4 door speakers, added a 5 channel amp and a small sub. Now, I have zero complaints at all.

We have a 2013 Keystone Ultra Lite Elite 32FB camper that is 35'4". That little ecoboost pulls it with no issues at all. I live in Colorado so this includes mountain road pulls. You'll love the 5.0 or the Ecoboost.
Old 02-12-2014, 11:13 PM

I have a 2013 F150 FX4 Ecoboost , only complaint I have is the number of photo radar tickets that I have received.

Quick Reply: Known issues with your trucks