Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

Jerking/ Engine Miss? Please Help!!

Search this Thread

Old 06-08-2015, 01:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation Jerking/ Engine Miss? Please Help!!

Hello! I am new to this so i apologize if I am posting int he wrong place, or am doing anything incorrectly.

I have a 1986 Ford f150 XLT lariat long bed, It has an inline six, Four speed Manual. Bought in April.

The other night I was driving in town and in fourth gear i completely lost power for a split second, only revved. Later on it started jerking pretty heavily until i pulled over. Shut the truck off, then back on. And away I went.

Yesterday Morning I Gave it an Oil change, And changed the spark Plugs, and Wires. After that, I noticed it was missing pretty badly. While driving it jerks pretty constantly, Like one of the cylinders is missing. It will settle down after a while and it is more prominent in 4th gear. Barely ever does it in 3rd or 2nd. Power loss is very noticeable as is Gas mileage.

Went back this morning and gauged all the plugs to the correct gapping, went away for a bit but on the way to work came back with a vengeance. Driving home gave me a panic attack.

Any suggestions on what it could be? Any help is very much appreciated.

Side note: In the last 3 days or so, I installed about 8 LED strips. 4 on the tailgate as blinkers, 2 under the dash, and two white ones under the headlights. The dash and headlight ones run off of my dimmer fuse and turn on and off with my headlights, while also dimming. the back four are connected to my trailer wires on the tailgate. Could this cause any loss of power?

Last edited by Mattstark889; 06-08-2015 at 01:09 AM. Reason: Left out minor detail
Old 06-08-2015, 08:42 AM

Received 234 Likes on 229 Posts

First rule of thumb, if the problem started AFTER you installed the lights, most likely you have interrupted the power to the ignition circuit. Disconnect the lights at the point you connected them to power and see if it goes away. Any lighting should be powered through a relay, with the power starting at the battery (not in the cab) If it doesn't fix the issue, I'd start by changing the fuel filter under the truck on the drivers side frame rail. Good luck
Old 06-08-2015, 09:39 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Update

The 6th spark plug was arcing, replaced it and miss is gone. But it still is jerking at operating temp. I will be driving and around 45 mph it's bucks. Completely loses power. Won't rev or anything, then resumes power. Will disconnect lights. Any other thoughts?

Quick Reply: Jerking/ Engine Miss? Please Help!!