Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

install and drive with ac compressor without adding oil

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-2018, 09:08 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Default install and drive with ac compressor without adding oil

I have a 1993 Ford F-150, 5.0, Auto, rwd.

I have ordered ac components, unfortunately, they aren’t arriving at the same time.

I ordered the compressor, dryer, evaporator core, condenser, all the lines, radiator, fan shroud.

The compressor and dryer are arriving first. I want to install all of the parts as they come in. I’ll add compressor oil when I’ve installed everything and charge the system.

1) Can I install the compressor and drive it a few days without the oil if I don’t use it?

2) I can’t find how much r134a is required to charge it the first time. I called Ford and they tell me it is 2.6lbs of r12. They don’t know how much r134a but know it’s a different amount. I have the gauge set so I can vacuum the system down. Can the gauges be used to tell when it’s full?
Old 06-10-2018, 09:37 AM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

The very questions you ask tell me you shouldn't be doing any of this work. Take it to someone that knows what they are doing or you risk serious injury.
The following users liked this post:
Tango51 (06-14-2018)
Old 06-10-2018, 09:53 AM

Oh, I’ll be doing it myself alright. I’ve experienced first hand, time and time again, the very poor work ethic out there.
Old 06-10-2018, 10:02 AM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Good luck, I won't help you injure yourself or others when something explodes or flies apart. Best bet if you insist on taking on the task is to hit up you tube for some technical video how to's.
Old 06-14-2018, 02:55 PM

The dryer is the last thing you want to install , as you do not want air into it , the rest of the system needs to be installed, then hook up the dryer.

yes you can run the compressor, it free spins on the pulley , you would only damage it if the clutch is engaged .

90% of a r12 charge is about right for a 134a conversion .

you need to get the oil right , too much and cooling suffers , too little and you burn the compressor up , most older systems are around 10 oz of oil .

The oil needs to be divided up , one oz in Evaporator , like two in dryer , one or two in condenser , and like four or five in compressor .

to be really cold , it all has to be near perfect , and don't forget your office tube or expansion block .

if I was you , I would bolt it all up , and have a professional shop charge it for you
Old 06-14-2018, 03:12 PM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

Originally Posted by tmckee
I want to install all of the parts as they come in.
Why? So you have to get the tools out several times? You're just making work for yourself, and probably damaging the new parts.
I’ll add compressor oil when I’ve installed everything and charge the system.
That's not the correct way to do the job. I agree with Rnlcomp - you should pay a pro to do this work.
1) Can I install the compressor and drive it a few days without the oil if I don’t use it?
Sure. You can do anything you want to. But it won't make your truck run better, or last longer, or save you any time or money.
2) I can’t find how much r134a is required to charge it the first time.
The same as the 2nd time or 43rd time.
They don’t know how much r134a...
That should tell you that the person you talked to is no more-qualified to do this than you are.
I have the gauge set so I can vacuum the system down.
Gauges don't vacuum anything. Take it to a pro.
Can the gauges be used to tell when it’s full?
That's the ONLY way to know when the charge is correct, but you have to know how to read them. It's more complicated than just looking at the numbers.

Click this & read ALL the captions:

(phone app link)
The following users liked this post:
Tango51 (06-14-2018)
Old 06-18-2018, 03:07 AM
Martin

Received 257 Likes on 221 Posts

Zeeduke's answer is helpful. To get exact Freon and oil quantities look up a 94 or 95 with your trucks same configuration. That truck would have used the 134 as factory fill and the ac components would be the same as your truck. My 95's with 302 hood label says 2lb6oz Freon and 11 oz oil.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:37 AM

Received 1,731 Likes on 1,487 Posts

No, the '93 A/C components are not the same as '94. The compressor MIGHT be identical, but I doubt it - all the other parts are certainly different.
Old 06-19-2018, 12:59 AM
Martin

Received 257 Likes on 221 Posts

For Freon and oil quantities they are close enough.

Quick Reply: install and drive with ac compressor without adding oil