Topic Sponsor
Maintenance Shop Keep your Ford F150 truck running strong. Discuss all things maintenance here.

I don't recommend using 5w-30 in 5.0 Coyote

Old 09-03-2015, 09:04 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default I don't recommend using 5w-30 in 5.0 Coyote

I tried running Mobil 1 EP 5w-30 this week in my 2013 F150 with 5.0, but i gotta tell you that I am completely disappointed. I read up for weeks trying to find info on benefits and/or if its compatible. Basically this is the only vehicle we have in the family that doesn't use 5w-30 and my life would have been so much easier with all the extra 5w-30 laying around.

The engine ran much more sluggish, I started hearing slight knocking on grades, and the shift points with engine RPM were slightly different. I could not believe that it made that much of a difference but hopefully someone can use my experience to better know what can happen.

May not be everyones experience with using a 30, but my truck did not like it at all.

On the positive, it gave me a chance to try the Castrol GTX 5w-20 FULL SYNTHETIC and also to use my 5 day old oil and put in my sister's BMW hahaha.
Old 09-07-2015, 02:02 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

People don't realize how much difference just that little bit of oil weight can make. It's not just Ford either, we have a Chevy van at work that is the same way, one of the older tech's argued up and down it wont matter, well 2 weeks later he changed his mind when we pulled out the 40w and put in the recommended 30w and the engine stopped making noise.
The following users liked this post:
River1 (08-19-2020)
Old 09-09-2015, 10:59 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by Rnlcomp
People don't realize how much difference just that little bit of oil weight can make. It's not just Ford either, we have a Chevy van at work that is the same way, one of the older tech's argued up and down it wont matter, well 2 weeks later he changed his mind when we pulled out the 40w and put in the recommended 30w and the engine stopped making noise.
40W to a 30W is a huge change, but i think you could argue the difference between a 5w-20 and a 5W-30
Old 09-09-2015, 11:07 PM

Received 6,199 Likes on 4,672 Posts

Originally Posted by Beauch11
40W to a 30W is a huge change, but i think you could argue the difference between a 5w-20 and a 5W-30
The van calls for 5w30, he put in 5w40.
Old 11-03-2015, 09:23 PM
Large Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

This is interesting because I've had the exact opposite issue with my 5.0. I was informed the only reason Ford has dropped to 5w20 instead of 3w30 as standard was to meet CAFE ratings?

In my '14 mustang gt it came with the 5w20 and it burned oil for the first 2 oil changes I did with the same weight(I know new engines normally do this anyhow), but, when I switched to 5w30 it immediately stopped burning oil and the temperature didn't get as high. To add, the track pack gt's are supposed to run 5w50 only even though they are the same engine? It's strange to hear the stories and experiences but

I guess every engine can be a little different then others and you simply need to experiment on what works best..
WestsydeGuy (05-29-2016)
Old 12-07-2015, 10:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by jbowpsp
I tried running Mobil 1 EP 5w-30 this week in my 2013 F150 with 5.0, but i gotta tell you that I am completely disappointed. I read up for weeks trying to find info on benefits and/or if its compatible. Basically this is the only vehicle we have in the family that doesn't use 5w-30 and my life would have been so much easier with all the extra 5w-30 laying around.

The engine ran much more sluggish, I started hearing slight knocking on grades, and the shift points with engine RPM were slightly different. I could not believe that it made that much of a difference but hopefully someone can use my experience to better know what can happen.

May not be everyones experience with using a 30, but my truck did not like it at all.

On the positive, it gave me a chance to try the Castrol GTX 5w-20 FULL SYNTHETIC and also to use my 5 day old oil and put in my sister's BMW hahaha.

Good way to smoke a 6k$ engine.... It is also variable valve timing on all four cranks. Also being overhead cam... I would suggest you read your owners manual. The vvt runs off oil pressure and duh changing the viscosity will afecct performance....also Ford hasn't used 5w30 in its overhead cam v8 since 2002.. there is a tsb on that
Old 12-09-2015, 08:17 PM

Received 127 Likes on 109 Posts

My 2008 Ford Focus called for 5-20w, I bought it with 6k miles on it. I have used 10-30 for the last 90k miles, (from day one, always change oil on new car, like kissing new girlfriend) no problems, does not burn a drop of oil at 5 k changes. Ford sells engines, don't trust them, but..............
My 2013 F150 5.0 says it uses oil to cool the bottom of the pistons,, I hate the high tech crap, but I use 5-20w in it. Viscosity and spray nozzle makes a difference.
Having said that, my 2002 Explorer, 4.0, 190K miles , 15-40w since 100k miles., still does not burn oil. Yes, I'm a FORD guy, thats why I can cuss the stupid FORD engineers. PS, I live in the south, gods country, never gets really cold.

Last edited by Lee308; 12-09-2015 at 08:36 PM.
WestsydeGuy (05-29-2016)
Old 04-05-2016, 05:56 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

FYI the first thing they do is remove oil filter and check it I use ford filters and recommended oil don't give they a reason to put the blame on you for not using the recommended oil and filter
Just my opinion
Old 04-06-2016, 09:55 PM

Received 27 Likes on 22 Posts

I think something else is wrong besides the oil. M1 EP is not a very heavy 30 weight (Viscosity @ 100 ēC is 10.6) . Also I don't think GTX is syn, unless you mean GTX Magnatec. FWIW both versions of GTX are almost into 30 weight territory with Viscosity @ 100 ēC = 9.1. 30 weight starts at 9.3
WestsydeGuy (05-29-2016)
Old 04-08-2016, 12:03 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Ive been a huge fan of Mobil1 products for 20 years. Changed oil using Ford Full Synthetic and the truck ran much better. Next change to 5w20 again with Mobil1, noticed a rougher idle. Converting to Ford Synthetic this next week and will stay with it. Can't explain but there is a positive difference with Motorcraft.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: I don't recommend using 5w-30 in 5.0 Coyote